Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have an old tv that has interference when words are displayed…

Customer Question
I have an old tv...
I have an old tv that has interference when words are displayed on the screen. Is there a filter to help with this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/24/2010
Electronics Technician: Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center replied 8 years ago
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Hello
I have loved Electronics since I was 5 years old
I have been servicing Electronics for better than 20 years
Are you refferin to a buzzing noise?
when there are letters on the screen?
Yes any time there are words displayed it buzzes. It seems to have gotten much worse lately. It is almost impossible to watch shows like CNN because they are always running words on their programs.
This is a detuning of the 4.5 MHZ trap coil
it can be adjusted to eliminate the problem
ts not easy for in experienced person and you could make the prob worse
look for a metal sq can labled 4.5
and tweek it for the cleanest loudest audio
dont turn anything untill you are sure you got the right can
I think I located the metal can and turn the top. It seems some better, but there is still buzzing - maybe not as loud. What else can I try?
you need to turn that and nothing else the sound will go out and then will come back louder there will be only a small spot where the sound is real loud and clear the rest of it will mae little difference if that does not fix it the can is bad
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
I think I have a bad can. Thank you for your information.
Thanks for using JA