Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a TU-CTH100 DPVR and use a co-ax cable to use the loop…

Customer Question
I have a TU-CTH100 DPVR...
I have a TU-CTH100 DPVR and use a co-ax cable to use the loop through for watching the TV while the DPVR is on standby. However somewhere one channel (53) is attenuated from the normal 9 to 4/5, sometimes lower. I have tried a new co-ax cable. Is this a fault in the DPVR?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/24/2010
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to the site,

On all ANT IN/OUT circuitry that has a sample feed (for its tuner), an RLC tuned network is used. This is a combination resistor, inductor and capacitor which of course would result to band pass filtering. There would be frequencies that the RLC would be transparent and the TV signals passed through with little or no loss, but there would be other frequencies that it will introduce an impedance and result to some or significant loss; attenuation. It would seem that this is the case with the RLC of the Panasonic hence one channel appears to attenuated.

Is it a fault? Offhand, from a service personnel's perspective, no but rather a design limitation. Perhaps from an engineer's / designer's view, it could have been done better.

A possible workaround is to use a low loss splitter (satellite grade) before it even enters the TU-CTH100.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/24/2010 at 4:11 AM EST