Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a SX-FN3. What must I do to record my playing onto my…

Customer Question
I have a SX-FN3. What...
I have a SX-FN3. What must I do to record my playing onto my laptop uisng the MIDI with a USB cable?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/22/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician

You will need some type of recording software to interface the signal you're sending into the computer and allow you to record tracks, bounce, edit, save and burn onto a CD. I personally use Cakewalk and have had very good results.

http://www.cakewalk.com/

Does the Catwalk program interface with the Technics FN3 which is at least 20 years old? Someone told me to get a FN3 "driver" to load it into my laptop. Can't find this anywhere. Before I invest in teh Catwalk, I want to be certain this will work.

Do you have some way of interfacing the Technics directly to the USB cable and then connecting it to the computer? If so, then so long as the cables are interfaced properly, the signal should have no problem being input to the computer.If you're not able to get them to "talk" together for some reason, they also sell a soundcard you can purchase (I have the same card in mine), called the MIA Midi which allows direct connection to all MIDI devices.

It can be seen at the link below:

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/MiaMIDI/index.php