Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Pioneer VSX 1020. Love it. Great sound and Picture.

Customer Question
However I can't get my...
I have a Pioneer VSX 1020. Love it. Great sound and Picture. However I can't get my Mutizone function to work. I have read the manual and configured the setting in Speaker setup but am not getting any sound on my porch - where I have stereo speakers for music. Please advise
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/21/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician

So, you have the Zone 2 light on the display lit correct? Also, did you select Zone 2 form the speaker setting menu?

If all this is done, Zone 2 should be showing on the display, so select an input and then turn up the volume. Do you still not have anything on the Zone 2?

Please double check these operations, and get back to me to let me know what happens.

Yes - I have Mulizone selected and shown on the reciever display and have Zone 2 selected in the Speaker settings. Still no sound.

What did you select for the Zone 2 Source (Input), and what is connected to the rear of the receiver for inputs?

I have several HDMI and Optical-Audio devices as inputs. All are functioning properly in the main zone 1. I have tried a number of them in Zone two. Primarily I want my CD-Audio to play in zone 2. Am not hearing any sound.

When you are on Zone 2, and you scroll through the Inputs, what are they? Typically the Zone 2 Inputs choices are not as inclusive as the Main Zone. You may need to re-route the cabling to make sure you are plugged into a set of inputs which appear on Zone 2 when you change the source.

I see the CD source when I scroll through on Zone 2 Inputs.
Do you have to specificall set up back panel routings for Zone 2?
Not necessarily, but the available sources when scrolling through Zone 2 will be a little different than the ones for the main zone. Not all will be available under Zone 2. Let's try this as a test: Do you have an antenna connected for the FM tuner? If so, does Zone 2 give you the option for Tuner? If it does, and you have an antenna then try turning on that source and tune in a station to see if you can get sound this way.
I went through all the sources in zone 2, including the tuner. Nothing.
Does the Tuner work on Zone 1...does it have an antenna? I'm just trying to rule out anything basic first.
Yes - all the sources work perfectly on Zone 1.
Also, I checked the speakers that I'm using for Zone B by connecting them to Speaker B. The speakers (and the cabling) appears to be working properly.
I'm sorry I don't know what the issue is so I'll Opt Out and open the question to other experts.