Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a converter box on my tv. Half of the remote stoped…

Customer Question
I have a converter box...
I have a converter box on my tv. Half of the remote stoped working. I replaced the batteries with brand new batteries. The volumn control and the on and off tv button do not work but everything else does. Is there a way to fix this?
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/21/2010
Electronics Technician: Neil, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Neil, Engineer
Hi

My name is XXXXX XXXXX thanks for using Just Answer...

You will have to dismantle the remote and check the circuit board on the remote for a possible cracked board or track. This may require a soldering iron to bypass the cracked track. If you don't have a soldering iron or can't see the problem it will most likely be cheaper to replace the remote with one from the manufacturer or using a new universal type remote from Radio Shack or similar.
How do I get a new remote from the manufacturer. Is there an web address that I can order thru or an address I can write to

Hi

The RCA website is here:

http://www.rcaaccessories.com/RcaaccessoriesController.do?ACTION_TYPE_ID=ACTION_TYPE_CATEGORY&ACTION_CATEGORY_ID=STR_CATEGORY_UNIVERSAL_REMOTES

However you can usually pick up your remote on ebay much cheaper than from RCA...