Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a panasonic KX-TG5664 that is several years old. Recently,

Customer Question
I have a panasonic KX-TG5664...
I have a panasonic KX-TG5664 that is several years old. Recently, I can't the caller ID doesn't show....the light comes on but the number doesn't show. Is this the phone or my carrier? If it can be fixed, how do I do it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/20/2010
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

I suspect the issue is with your carrier (95% of the time it is), but you can do some quick testing to find out. This assumes that the Caller ID does not work on ALL of the handsets for you system.

The quickest way to find out if the issue is with the carrier or the phone system is to swap in a different phone that supports Caller ID, or to take your phone system over to a friends house, where you know caller ID works, and plug it in there, as a test. All you will need is the base unit, AC adapter, and one handsets.

If you find it is your system, then the base unit will have to be replaced, or you may want to replace the whole system. This is because it is usually less expensive to replace the base or system then it is to have it repaired, if you can find someone that will do that (most shops will not work on these because of cost).

Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.