Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Panasonic combo VCR/DVD recorder. I recorded a sports…

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic combo...
I have a Panasonic combo VCR/DVD recorder. I recorded a sports game on a DVD manually, starting the recording, and ending it at the end of the game. The DVD did not go into the Finalization function and it's not readable. I have tried the procedures in the user giude to force finalization, but I can't open the DVD Management function to get to a Finalization option. It's not available from the menu.
The unit is a model DMR-EZ48V. The DVD disc is a R-DL, and I have used these exclusively to record other TV shows. How can I force Finalization? I don't want to lose what I recorded.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/15/2010
Electronics Technician: romr2009, Electronics Engineer replied 8 years ago
romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
HiCustomer

• You can use IsoBuster to get the video data out and transfer it to your computer's DVD burner.
  • Click on the link below.
  • You probably won't need anything but the free version.
  • The key to using IsoBuster is right-clicking the mouse button and selecting from the pop-up menu.

http://www.isobuster.com/

------------------------------

You can also finalize the DVDs on a computer with a DVD burner:

• On Windows XP, click start, select Programs, select Roxio, select DigitalMedia.
  • Click the Tools tab and click Finalize Disk.

Please click the ACCEPT button to release your deposit so I will be paid my commission. You can also come back to this same question later for follow-up. Thanks.

Romr

romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
ISOBuster says the DVD is blank. I don't have Roxio. I had problems with it in the past and removed it. I do have the SlySoft suite and it says the DVD is blank. Problem.....It can't be formatted since it's a write once disc, and I can't record to it.

HiCustomer

• You can usually see the slight color change in the used area of the DVD.
  • If Isobuster says the DVD is blank, it is blank.
  • Isobuster has never failed to find data -- no matter how damaged.
  • Try manually test recording your Panasonic with a regular DVD like you did before.
  • Hopefully it was operator error and not a hardware problem with the laser optics.

Romr