Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am trying to copy a series of home-made videotapes to the…

Customer Question
I am trying to copy...
I am trying to copy a series of home-made videotapes to the hard drive of my Panasonic PVR. The tapes may well be EP or LP or some such extended format (I don't know how to tell or even if this is relevant.

The tapes play perfectly when I connect the VCR (also Panasonic) to the TV using a SCART lead, or even using a coax aerial-type lead, but when I route the signal through the PVR I get a couple of black bands at the bottom of the picture.

Please help!

Many thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
6/15/2010
Electronics Technician: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 8 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator
I believe the question is clear and the price offered is fair. I am disappointed that no expert has quickly contacted me to try and help. IF the problem turns out to be complex and to take significant time, then I am willing to add a little money to the pot. "Good faith" cuts both ways!

If an "expert" contacts me, I am happy to work with her/him and perform whatever tests are required, to describe my set-up in more detail and to provide any additional detail as answers to specific questions.

I hope to be contacted very soon.

Sincerely,

Adrian
Electronics Technician: iMayne, Technician replied 8 years ago
iMayne
iMayne, Technician
Hello

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay. May I have the model number of your PVR in order to assist you better?

Also, you have stated "video tapes". What media are you referring to?

Regards,
iMayne

Edited by iMayne on 6/15/2010 at 7:17 PM EST
The PVR is a Panasonic DMR-EX769EB - purchased only a few weeks ago. It has been performing just fine and I suspect no fault with it.

The videotapes are conventional video cassettes - VHS, being played on a very ordinary and basic VCR (Panasonic, model NV-HV61EB).

I created the videotapes some years ago - by copying and editing together various home movies taken of our children. These tapes all play perfectly when the VCR is connected (by SCART lead) directly to theTV (Panasonic flat screen, plasma display, model TH-37PE30).

However, when I connect the VCR to the PVR (using SCART lead) and then deliver the picture to the TV from the PVR (in other words, I have inserted the PVR BETWEEN the VCR and the TV) then the picture on the TV is spoiled by two horizontal black bands at the bottom of the TV screen, each about 3/4 inch high, with a small 1/4 inch band between them. In this middle tiny band, I can just make out some more of the "actual picture". I have tried adjusting the tracking on the VCR - but this makes no improvement at all.

If I start recording on the PVR to its hard disk, and then play back the recording, then the bands are still present.

Every one of my home-made tapes presents the same problem.

I hope this helps.

Adrian