Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

We have a Garmin Streetpilot 7500 and just returned from a…

Customer Question
We have a Garmin Streetpilot...
We have a Garmin Streetpilot 7500 and just returned from a trip to Florida, via Savannah, Georgia. We lost sattelite reception about 20 miles west of Savannah and didn't get reception again until about 50 miles south of Savannah. On the way home, we lost reception several times for short periods of time, but didn't have reception through most of South Dakota and North Dakota. Of interest, our little Garmin Nuvi 250 had reception through it all!! We cleared all destinations and took the 7500 outside of the car, but it still wouldn't pick up a signal. We purchased the 7500 three or four years ago.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/14/2010
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me when you last updated the unit software on the 7500?

Thanks

May 2010

Hi again,

Could you please try to get to the GPS Info screen and let me know what you see?

You should see something like the following screen.

graphic

What I am looking for is if the unit sees ANY satellites at all and what the strength bars look like.

Thanks

When we have reception, that is what the strength bars look like, however, they are completely blank when we get the message that satellite reception is lost. We are now at home in Burlington ND and the reception is fine

Hi again,

Considering that the unit is working now, and your unit software is probably the "lastest" version, I don't think you have a hardware issue - which is a good thing.

What I actually believe is happening is that the software in the unit may need updating again - when the next version comes out. I base this on about 5-10 different Garmin units that I have worked with over the last few months. One in particular (Nuvi 650) was working fine (finding and keeping satellites locked in) and then after a software update about a month ago, it started to take longer to acquire the satellite lock, and would occasionally come up with the "Satellites Lost" message - even during a clear day and driving on an open highway.

I am currently trying to find a "technical" person in the software department of Garmin to find out what happened with the last release of the software, but have not found the "right" person yet so that I can do some more troubleshooting.

I know this may not help much right now, but I believe these issues will be resolved in the near future with a new software update. So I would try to check for a new software release every few weeks to see if that makes the unit more responsive.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

P.S. Please feel no pressure to accept this answer at this time, as it make take a while to find and resolve this issue.