Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Roland XP 80 and need to replace the battery soon.

Customer Question
How do I go about...
I have a Roland XP 80 and need to replace the battery soon. How do I go about this and what are the issues with replacing the old battery?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2010
Electronics Technician: NeOh, Engineer replied 7 years ago
NeOh
NeOh, Engineer

Thank you for using JustAnswer. We would like to to solve your problem as soon as possible.

You can contact these sites to get the battery

http://www.route66studios.com/batteries.html

http://www.syntaur.com/roland.html

Please follow the instructions in this link to change the battery

http://ztup.com/Roland-D110-Battery-Replacement-Guide.htm
Electronics Technician: iMayne, Technician replied 7 years ago
iMayne
iMayne, Technician
Hello

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Please backup your data as soon as possible. It is always good to have a back-up anyway, you never know when you might need it due to "low battery". If you have a computer based sequencer, enable sysex data recording, and dump the contents of the XP.

Most synth's access is via the bottom metal plate. So lay the keyboard upside down on a sofa, or bed. Then remove the necessary screws to allow you inside.
If your lucky, the battery will be staring back at you on the main circuit board. Roland normally use battery holders, so it should be a simple case of sliding out the old, and in with the new. Be sure to note which side the battery is mounted for polarity issues.
If your unlucky, the battery is mounted on the other side of the main circuit board, so you may well need to remove a few cables, and more screws to enable you to remove the board, and get to it. Korg like having their batteries on the other side of the boards.
I've had batteries soldered to the circuit boards too (Yamaha SPX-90 processor), these are tricky to deal with, but not impossible. As I said, Roland normally use battery holders, so you shouldn't have that to deal with.

Please note that the Roland-D110 disassembly process is totally different.

As I have worked with the XP-10 and D110, the disassembly process are completely different.

You can purchase the backup battery here. Or pop into Asda, Tesco or Maplin and purchase a 3.0v CR2032 lithium CMOS battery. I got mine from Maplin.

I hope my instructions are informative.

Regards,
iMayne

Edited by iMayne on 6/13/2010 at 2:10 PM EST

Thank you for your answer but unfortunately I cannot deal with this just right now. I am happy and unhappy with the answer and the reason may be that I'm not really au fait with the technical side of things. You say:

"If you have a computer based sequencer, enable sysex data recording, and dump the contents of the XP." I don't really know what that means but I would like to find out but as I say unfortunately I can't deal with this right now. Perhaps I can contact you again and resolve the enabling sysex data recording issue. Thanks again for your reply

Ok. It's just a method of backing up your settings. You can save your setting onto a floppy diskette before removing the battery. Regards, iMayne
Wouldn't that require a whole bunch of Disks? I need a bit of time to check this out to see if I can sus it but I have friends coming here tonite (wouldn't you just know it) so I can't get the time. Thanks
If you have custom patches, then you may need about one or two diskettes. If not, then just take the battery out and replace it. But enjoy the Sunday. Regards
iMayne
iMayne, Technician
iMayne
iMayne
iMayne, Technician