Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

i have a garmin 1200, and while traveling the unit stopped…

Customer Question
i have a garmin 1200...
i have a garmin 1200, and while traveling the unit stopped giving directions. I waited for a while and traveled further, with no luck. The unit was turned off and turned back on, the screen now reads " can't unlock maps ". I have not downloaded anything to this garmn, I just want my maps unlocked, which the unit came with. The unit now claims my vehicle is somewhere in detriot, when in fact Im in Mass.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
6/13/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, It may be worth trying to reset your Nuvi 1200 and see if it clears up the problem.

This unit is reset by pressing and holding the power button until it reboots.

You can also reset user data by holding your finger on the lower right corner of the screen whilst powering up the unit at the same time.

Keep your finger pressed until a pop up window appears. Touch YES to clear all data and return to factory settings.

it still reads on a screen after doing the reset and all, "Cant't Unlock Maps" and at the bottom has an ok button. this is still not fixed.

The unit is having microprocessor glitches and unfortunately needs to be sent back to Garmin for repair or exchange as it will continue to have these issues. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.