Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

the icons for selecting playing the games and watching movies…

Customer Question
the icons for selecting playing...
the icons for selecting playing the games and watching movies has disapeared of my sons play station 3??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
6/12/2010
Electronics Technician: GadgetGuru, Engineer replied 8 years ago
GadgetGuru
GadgetGuru, Engineer
Hi there, can you tell me if this is a PS3 or PS3 slim? Thank you. Michael
ps3
Do you see anything when it powers up, perhaps the wave in the background. When you did your system restore, how did you execute that? Was it done through safe mode?

Edited by GadgetGuru on 6/12/2010 at 7:34 PM EST

I realize you said you did a system restore but I am not sure you did that from the safe mode screen since it does not specify. So here is what you should do. Enter safe mode by following the procedure below and try the following options in this order, realizing you will most likely lose any saved data.

Restore Default Settings

1. Restore File System
  2. Rebuild Database
  3. Restore PS3 System

Safe Mode Options

In Safe Mode, you will have the following options:

1. Restart System - Ends safe mode and starts up the PlayStation 3 normally.
  2. Restore Default Settings - Performs the same operations as [Restore Default Settings] on the XMBTM, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.
  3. Restore File System - Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered.
  4. Rebuild Database - Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.
    This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
  5. Restore PS3 System - IMPORTANT: All data will be lost by performing this step.
    This will reformat the hard drive on the PlayStation 3, deleting all data and restoring it to as if it just came out of the box. This is the same as [Restore PS3 system] on the XMB.
  6. System Update - Updates the PS3 system software. This can only be done with an update file already saved on an external storage media.

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1: Turn off the PlayStation 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PlayStation 3 is powering on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PlayStation 3 to power on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."
  4. Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PlayStation 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
  5. Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

Step 4: We recommending performing the safe mode options in the following order until one of the options works for you. If one of the options work, do not continue onto the other options.

1. Restore Default Settings
  2. Restore File System
  3. Rebuild Database
  4. Restore PS3 System

I hope this has been helpful, if not please let me know. Please click the green accept below and please leave positive feedback. Also, bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. Michael.

Hi there again, thank you for reviewing my answer. Is there anything further I can assist with related to this question? If not, kindly click accept below and please leave positive feedback if my service has been deserving. I have worked very hard to craft an expert answer for your issue with your PS3, clicking accept is how I am credited for my time. Bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thank you and have a great day. Michael.