Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Sansa View 16G. The sound goes in and out. I think…

Customer Question
I have a Sansa View...
I have a Sansa View 16G. The sound goes in and out. I think that there is something loose where you plug the headphones in. Can this be fixed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/10/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Yes this is a very common occurrence for most MP3 and portable devices which have 1/8" headphone jacks. The jacks themselves are mounted directly to the PCB with the solder that makes their connection for Left/Right +, and then a common ground. This can be fixed by opening the unit, and using a fine tipped soldering iron set to a low wattage, and then simply reheat the solder joints. This may or may not be possible as some of the MP3 units are not designed to be opened without breaking the plastic. Trying to find a shop to do this task is also going to be very rare as most will not touch these devices and will simply tell you to throw it away and buy a new one. Is it still covered under warranty?

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Edited by aricaudio on 6/10/2010 at 8:13 PM EST