Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

The screen on my Kindle is not fully operational. Am unable…

Customer Question
The screen on my Kindle...
The screen on my Kindle is not fully operational. Am unable to read a full page. HELP!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/10/2010
Electronics Technician: AnswermanRob, Electronic Jack Of All Trades replied 8 years ago
AnswermanRob
AnswermanRob, Electronic Jack Of All Trades
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Any time you have difficulty with your Kindle, it's always best to reboot the device first.

To reboot a Kindle 1, you need to open the back cover first. Turn your Kindle over so that the back cover is facing you. Slide the back cover off by pressing the cover firmly while sliding the cover to the right with your thumbs. Use a paper clip to press the reset button on the top left of the battery. The kindle will flash a few times and reset.

If it's a Kindle 2

1. Slide the power button and hold it for 30 sec.

2. Release the button and wait for 20 sec until the screen begins to flash.

Let me know if this does not work.

Rob

I can't get the back cover off. Looks like I need to slip it down, but I'm afraid to push too hard.
As long as the back looks like this:

graphic

Then you have a Kindle 1. If not, you have a Kindle 2. If you have a Kindle 1, it does take a pretty decent level of force to get the cover to move.
If I have a Kindle 1, do I slide down and sideways?
You press slightly and slide it in the direction it should move. Without knowing what "down" is, I'm not sure. Look at the edge of the Kindle to determine which way it should slide. It should slide toward the edge that has the "crack" between the cover and the Kindle body.
I can't get the back to move at all. It looks like the silver back should slide down or away from the body. When the kindle is turned over, "Amazonkindle" is face up on the silver part. There is about l l/2 inches of gray plastic at the top and then the metal back. I'm afraid I will make it worse if I use too much force. I purchased this from Amazon in January or February. Do you have a way to check to see which Kindle I have?
Ohhhh...if you purchased it that recently, you have a Kindle 2. Slide and hold the power switch for 30 seconds. Let me know if the screen doesn't flash and the system reboot.

It flashed and rebooted, but on the top of the screen, for about 2 inches, are some of the "fish" screen saver. They won't go away and it looks like there might be a crack inside the screen.

It's very possible. Someone may have dropped it, a rapid temperature change, or even a design flaw may be causing that. The GOOD part is that this is covered under warranty by Amazon for one full year. Call them at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand they will provide you with return and replacement instructions, free of charge. Have a great day!

Rob
Thank you so much.
All the best Wink