Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

my denon dvd player switches off within 10 seconds of switching…

Customer Question
my denon dvd player switches...
my denon dvd player switches off within 10 seconds of switching it on. what can i do to fix it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/10/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician
Initially try unplugging the unit for 60 minutes, then upon plugging back in press and hold the "FF" button for 3-5 seconds, or until the unit re-initializes. If it still fails to do so, then there is a failed component inside the unit causing it to see a short and shut itself down to protect the rest of the unit from further damage. How long have you had the unit and is it still under warranty?

FF? what button is that?

I have had this for about 5 years so it's not under warranty anymore.

"FF" is Fast Forward, or the double-arrows pointing right.

What does pressing FF meant to do?

So if it didnt work, is it just an minor fix or is it better to just purchase a new DVD player?

After unplugging the unit for 60 minutes, pressing FF upon plugging back in will force a reset.

If it doesn't work it's impossible to tell what the issue could be. Most likely it's a power supply failure (again- it's hard to tell), in which case you'd be better off purchasing a new player. The power supply transformer itself can run over $100, and a base repair rate can add another $100 to the cost easily. So you'd be over $200 in that scenario.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!