Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Just moved my boat from FL to NC...never had a problem with…

Customer Question
Just moved my boat from...
Just moved my boat from FL to NC...never had a problem with my GPSMAP180 unit. At one time it had some warning referring to "Battery" yet I find nothing in my manual about a battery. Now, my unit will not come on at all...as if there is no power to the unit. Any ideas? I can't find an in-line fuse...I've checked the reset button on the breaker for the accessary button...help??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/9/2010
Electronics Technician: iMayne, Technician replied 8 years ago
iMayne
iMayne, Technician
Hello

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

If you should connect your gps to the boat and press the power button, on your gps, for 10 secs, would you hear the power sound?

Regards,
iMayne
No
That now right...

Can you grab a multimeter and check if there's power where you hooked it up?

Battery issues will not stop the gps from showing signs of life. But that issue is dealing with the internal memory battery. That's another issue.

Let's see why the gps has no power first.

Regards,
iMayne
I don't find an Accept button...I'm in my office not in my boat...thanks for your help.
Hello

What accept button?

Should we continue when you are at the boat?

Regards,
iMayne

On my computer screen it says to hit the Accept button if I am happy with your answer. I assume it is so you can get paid. I wish to end the conversation...obviously you can not help if I am not at the boat and that is not possible.

Thaks anyway.

Ok.

What you need to do is to check the power to the GPS with a multimeter. This should give you information as to what is going on.

Also, the internal battery needs replacing. You can get it here.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Regards,
iMayne

Edited by iMayne on 6/9/2010 at 3:39 PM EST