Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

my Road King 56 microphone on my cb radio wont transmit voice,

Customer Question
either over the air or...
my Road King 56 microphone on my cb radio wont transmit voice, either over the air or public address setting...when I press the button to transmit the radio needle shoots over like its transmitting but no transmission goes out, no one can hear me. Whats the deal, I wonder?
Robert
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/21/2010
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 7 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, postback the brand and model of the CB radio.

Offhand, if it were a mic issue, possible suspects are:
  • open mic element (coil) (least likely);
  • faulty PTT switch (likely);
  • open white (audio) wire (most likely) either at the mic end or at the connector end.

A continuity tester (DVM/VOM) is needed to test all of the above. Please reference the wiring diagram of the RK56 below.

graphic

Another possibility to consider is an internal fault along the mic audio line inside the radio particularly the ALC; the modulation limiter control.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

Edited by Benimur on 3/21/2010 at 8:31 PM EST
Louie, Technician