Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Bose Lifestyle 12 System. My issue with the sound…

Customer Question
I have a Bose Lifestyle...
I have a Bose Lifestyle 12 System. My issue with the sound is that when I first turn on the unit the sound works fine. After having the unit on for a while and I try to adjust the volume nothing happens. I can not control the volume from the remote or the console. When I turn off the unit and wait for a while and then turn it back on, the sound may or may not turn on.
If the sound does not come on, in order to eliminate the remote as the problem I only use the controls on the console to check out all the different modes. I leave the remote alone and use only the console controls. I cannot get sound in any mode. CD, AM/FM,VIDEO or AUX. I have turned off the console for 30 minutes and then turned the unit on. Now I am not getting any sound at all.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
2/10/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician

Try unplugging power to the unit for 60 minutes, then plug back in and try again. This will reset the unit's microprocessor and hopefully clear the fault.

I have had the console shut down for 24 hrs and when I turned it back on it worked fine as long as I used the system that day. When I turn off the TV and the cable box, I usually do not turn off the Bose console. That night I turned off the TV and the cable box. The next morning I turned on the cable box and the TV. The sound was on but when I tried to use the remote, the volume would not work. I tried the volume control on the console and that would not work either. I turned off the console and turned it back on. No sound from the system. Could not get sound even if I turned off the unit for 30 minutes. no sound at all.

The unit definitely has a microprocessor fault within the unit and needs to have it bench-tested and resolved. Bose are the only ones that service their product, and in many cases they'll offer you a brand-new, current model at a well-discounted price as an option in lieu of repair. Call, or e-mail Bose at the link below to obtain an RA# XXXXX get this unit looked at:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/customer_service/owners/warranty_center/index.jsp

Aric, Technician