Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Hi. Is it possible to repair a 29-year-old Bose 501 speaker?

Hi. Is it possible to...
Hi.
Is it possible to repair a 29-year-old Bose 501 speaker? Recently, one of a pair began to produce distorted sound.

A Bose technician indicates that replacement parts are no longer made for the 501s. Bose has offered me to an Acoustimass 5 Series III at a cost of $225, not including taxesm if I return the very large 501s to Bose. Bose offers me a chance to buy a prepaid shipping label at corporate shipping rates to cover the cost of returning the VERY LARGE speakers to Bose.

Frankly, I would keep the pair of 501s if I could get this lone speaker fixed. I use them to power sound from a DVD/CD/Cable tv setup. I am not a high-end person, and don't even own a flat-panel monitor.

Is this speaker so old that parts are unavailable and repair is impossible?
11/23/2009
Steve G., Engineer

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for asking your question.

You have either blown one or more drivers or the crossover is faulty. There are plenty of vendors on the internet that sell parts for the 501s. Don't listen to Bose.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Bose_Speaker_Parts.htm sells parts.

http://fix-any-thing.blogspot.com/2008/03/restoring-bose-501s.html is an interesting blog about repairing 501s.

I will be here if you need more info or have a follow up comment or question.

Steve:

Thank you very much for your speedy reply.

I have read the message string between do-it-yourself-ers on "How to Fix Anything" and it is apparent that a knowledgeable person can figure out how to fix a Bose 501!

I am unable to do such work, so I must find someone in Connecticut, Rhode Island or Massachusetts who could troubleshoot this speaker. The other speaker works fine at this time. The size of the speaker necessitates that I bring it to a shop, since mailing would be prohibitively expensive.

Are you able to refer me to a directory of vintage stereo repair shops??

Well, let's see.

The is a place called New England Speaker.

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

221 Main St
Stoneham, MA 02180

Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Steve G., Engineer