Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

i have a 1993 eldorado with a bose gold series radio, it does

Customer Question
not work, it has memory...
i have a 1993 eldorado with a bose gold series radio, it does not work, it has memory ,the time works, but the volume is barely heard when the car is off, as this system has three seperate units how can you find out which one is bad? the control head or the amplifier?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
7/8/2009
Electronics Technician: Peter NYC, Technician replied 8 years ago
Peter NYC
Peter NYC, Technician
Sure sounds like the Amp is the problem, but either one could cause the same problem. Please make sure all the fuses are good as there are at least 3 fuses to make that radio work. One is a continuous power fuse used to keep the time and memory. the others are accessory fuses used to power the radio and the amp. It can also be a bad or bad speakers causing the amplifier to shut down into a safe mode to protect the final transistors.
peter, i agree that iit could be either one , but the question was how do you tell which one it is? all the fuses are good,
Here in my shop I would use a signal generator on the input of the amp and see if it produces volume, but that kind of equiptment isn't easy to get or borrow. Maybe you could try this route, on ebay there is a guy selling the same radio who has a tech shop, possibly you could contact him and see if he would repair yours, send both parts and let him figure out which one is bad. He has nearly 5000 positive feedback, so he is not a fly by night and only sells factory radios. If you just pick the amp to replace you might be throwing your money away and for sure it would not be returnable. Hope this helps
Peter NYC
Peter NYC, Technician
Peter NYC
Peter NYC
Peter NYC, Technician