Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have two model no. TB110MW9 set top converter boxes by Magnavox.

Customer Question
I am trying to code...
I have two model no. TB110MW9 set top converter boxes by Magnavox. I am trying to code a cheap GE universal remote to control the box and the TV. One of the boxes responded to the 0581 code, the same as Sylvania. The other won't respond to anything even though it works on the Magnavox remote.   Any suggestions so I don't go through the life of the box using two remotes ?? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Winnemucca, northern Nevada
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/22/2009
Electronics Technician: Molinari, Technician replied 8 years ago
Molinari
Molinari, Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Do you have the model number of the remote that's not working right?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Thanks, Molinari, Both set top boxes are the same vintage. I have learned the code for one via the code search procedure on a GE universal remote,# XXXXX (I have several of those) The code no. is 0581. That also coincides with the Sylvania listing which, along with hundreds of others, comes with the remotes and the "guidance" I got from the Magnavox Help Line. (They don't have any code information). The problem is the second Magnavox refuses to respond to 0581 or any of the 300 or so codes contained in the GE remotes, but it does work properly with the single function remote that came with the box ?? I don't believe the remotes have a problem, but was hoping there was a way to extract the code from the Magnavox remote or the box, so I can live happily everafter using one three function remote. Thanks again,Customer

Ok, to clarify, the boxes are the same model, and one responds, and one doesn't?

Molinari, I am reasonably certain they are the same model, but were purchased a few days apart at Walmart. I can't verify that at the moment since one is here and the other at a second home many miles from here. They appear to be identical but apparently the one here with me has an attitude. I even took the top off hoping the Chinese might have left a note, but no luck. I feel certain it simply has a different code ?? Thanks,Customer

Opened it like a fortune cookie? Wink It seems very bizarre that one would respond and the other wouldn't.

My only suggestion at this point would be to take the bad one back to the store where you got the good one, and exchange it there.

Aside from that there is no information on the Magnavox page about firmware updates.

These must be fairly new, and they have yet to even have the model listed.

And the info they have on the earlier model (TB100MW9) is sparse to say the least.

If this answer is unaccetable, let me know, and I'll seethat you get your deposit back, or I can free you up to have another expert take a crack at it.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Let me know what you decide in either case!

Molinari
Molinari, Technician
Molinari, I think I'll just live with the two- remote inconvenience and watch for newer data on the Magnavox box. I'm fairly certain there isn't anything wrong with the box or the remote other than a lack of data. My wife want's me to stop tinkering with it and suggests I find something more productive to do. As a retired electrical engineer (power) not electronics, that's hard for me to do. Meanwhile, I appreciate your effort and research. If you run across a technique for lifting the code from a remote,(GE has that) please let me know. Take care, thanks,Customer
Ok, good luck! You'll just have to tinker when she's out of the house!
Molinari
Molinari
Molinari, Technician