Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My wireless phone doesnot it says check tel line. I have followed

the directions and it still...
My wireless phone doesnot it says check tel line. I have followed the directions and it still will not work. I need help to repair this phone! XXX-XXX-XXXX
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/11/2009
Brad829
Brad829, Technician
Hi purple, you have a number of tickets open on maybe the same problem. The phone is telling you what to check. You must be sure there is dialtone getting to the base of the phone. This can be done by checking with a corded phone. Use the same cable going into the base of your cordless base unit. If you have no dialtone at the base, you will not get it at the handset. be sure there are no splitters or things plugged into the same phone jack. Be sure there is power to the base unit and that you have used the proper wall supply. Please let me know.
The bases are working with my three new phones. The old phone no longer has a dial tone on either bases. I have not new batteries.
Hi purple, the old phone. Is this another cordless system, is it part of the same...You still have to be sure dialtone is at the BASE unit, not the remote units. We need to get that message to go away. Brad
The battery must be ok because when I put the old phone on the base the light works .but there is no dial tone and the same message appears check tel line.
Hi purple, I am sure the battery is fine. Can you please tell me what unit you are having a problem with. Is this the same one we worked on before or is this a different unit. As I stated, you need to check the dialtone to the base. I nned you to do this so we can go on. The instructions on how are 2 panels up. Thanks Brad
Tthis IS NOT THE UNITS WE WORKED ON . THERE IS NO DIAL ON THIS PHONE. AT THIS TIME. IT IS THE FIRST PHONE I BOUGHT MANY MONTHS AGO.
Hi purple, I am sorry i do not grasp "OLD phone". This is the first phone you bought many months ago, then you bought 3 more. Please clarify one more thing for me. It is still part of the same group of phones, Not the 3 we fixed, but the one that originally came with purchase of the BASE unit. The BASE unit is the one that has a cord going to the phone jack. The phone is tewlling you to check the dialtone. Please work and be patient. I will get you through this once I understand what equipment you have. Can you tell me the model number of the unit that has the dialtone issue. Brad
The phone I AM DISCUSSING IS THE ORIGNAL PHONE I HAD BEFORE I PURCHASED THE OTHER THREE PHONE UNITS I BOUGHT MYSELF. THE MODEL # XXXXX A PANASONIC WIRELESS. IT STILL DOES NOT HAVE A DIAL TONE. I DO NOT THINK THERE ARE TWO WIRES TO THE SAME OUTLET. IT WORKED BEFORE I BOUGHT THE OTHER PHONES.
Hi purple, thia is a KX-TGA931t. This is the model number of the handset. Now I need the model number of the base unit you charge this in. The one that has the telephone cord to the wall. Is it a KX-TG9333? How many handsets do you have on THIS system. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is purple, you still need to check that base unit for dialtone with a corded phone. It does not matter if it worked before. Something has changed. Now I have to cross check and see if one system is not interferring with the other. Is there some reason you need 2 full systems in the same location? This can be a problem with channel selection. You did say bases and that means more than one. I am going to clarify my terminology here. Purple, a base unit is the unit that connects to the wall phone jack. How many of these do you have? A remote unit is just a charging stand and ONLY plugs into electric. I feel you are getting frustrated because of the capital letters, but purple, I really need a clear picture of what you have. I keep getting different answers here and I am not sure what is going on. I understand you have a handset that says Check Dialtone. The thing I am not clear on is how this relates to the other 3 handsets. I know those are working now. What I have in my mind here is 2 base units that plug in the phone jacks and a total of 4 hamdsets. You have to understand that each handset has to be regitered with a base unit it is COMPATIBLE with. We are close as to what is going on I think, but I just want to be sure before I have you do anything. Please be patient and work with me. I will get you through this, I promise. By the way, you worked with a Bob B on this before. i found the ticket. It said something about registering the line to the Base.
HI BRAD, I WORKED WITH BEFORE AND YOU CLEARED THREE WIRELESS PHONES. I HAVE SCIATA DISABILATY AND THE NEW ME TO BE CLOSER TO XXXXX THAT I BOUGHT. THEY WORK WITH THE NEW AND OLD BASES . THIS IS WHY I DO NOT UNDER STAND. THEY OLD PHONE MAY HAVE TO BE SENT TO PANASCONIC FOR REPAIR,
Hi purple, If that's what you want to do, go ahead, but I believe your problem is right there. I have 40 years in the tel business and over 50 in electronics. You need to see if there is dialtone at the cord feeding the base. You also need to tell me how many bases you have. A base is a u nit that plugs into a phone jack and has a power block. I really want to help you, but I need these answers to do so. Brad

HI BRAD. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I HAVE TWO BASES ONE CAME WITH ORIGINAL PANASONIC PHONE. ONE WHICH CAME WITH THE NEW PHONES. THEY BOTH WITH THE NEW SYSTEM. I BOUGHT THE SET BECAUSE I HAVE A DISIBTLY PROBLEM WHICH CAUSES ME TO FALL. I NEED TO BE CLOSE. I WOULD STILL YOU TO HELP IF YOU CAN.

Hi Purple, very good, now iI have a picture. You should probably have something other than cordless phones for this.
Here is what can happen. The problem with 2 different bases is that if they do not operate on the same frequency, they can affect each other, Now you have the one system that has 3 handles. That system can have a maximum of 4. Even if you had 2 identical base units, once the handles are registered with a base, they will not work on another base unless registered with it. Even then I am not so sure they would work on 2 exact same base units. If these units were working 2 different frequencies, you would have to have one system in one location and one in another location. I am talking about say one system upstairs and another down stairs. Handles from one would not work on the other. Not knowing how big your house is, I would say the best thing to do is keep one working system only with the max number of phones. Keep a handle with you at all times. Makes no difference which one. I think you may be going way overboard here on the phones and complicating it rather than simplifying. Let me know how big your house is and how many rooms and if you have an up/down etc. Back to the problem with the one you have not working, Have you rerregistered it with its own base? That may help you out as well. Brad.

I live in a condo with one floor only. I may have to you use the new phones only. I do have a regular old phone that is hooked up to a jack and works fine in my bedroom. It is not wireless. Both bases have the same model number KX-TG9331T.

Hi Purple, It seems that could be the issue. You may have to work with the new phones. Now if you do not have 4 handles for one base unit, re-register the one handset and you will have to share a charging base. Turn off the other base unit and put it away. Keep the new system up and running. Keep your wired phone near the bed. You may also be getting some interference from other people with units on the same frequency. The registration process is to avoid problems with 911. What has happened is someone's pase unit power unit had been unplugged. Picking up a handle still provided dialtone, but from a different phone number. A 911 call is made and ID is at the other location for emergency personal. Not a good thing and I saved my employer from a massive lawsuit when I discovered it locally. Cordless phones were meant for CONVIENCE, not to be used in place of a wired phone.

Have a good day, If all this helped you out, please check accept. As always, bonuses are appreciated and feedback is a plus for my rating. Brad
Brad829
Brad829, Technician
Brad thank you help. I think I will stay with the new wireless phones I Have.
I will ask an answer when I need one!
Thanks for the accept purple. My pleasure to answer your questions. You can select me from the drop down menu if you visit again. Brad
i have decided to keep my three wireless phones. for now..Thanks for your help
The last reply is what i am going to do!
No futher qustions at this time .
Brad829
Brad829
Brad829, Technician