Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My camera wont turn on and the lens wont come out even when

Customer Question
My camera won't turn on...
My camera won't turn on and the lens wont come out even when i put new batteries in the camera. The only time the LCD comes on is when the battery is empty and then it just goes blank. I even purchased batteries off the Olympus website for my came and it still doesn't work. It is an Olympus FE-170. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/8/2009
Electronics Technician: Rod, Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
Rod, Systems Engineer
HiCustomer

From the description of you symptoms, the lens motor or motor drive circuits have failed. There is a slim possibility there is a small obstruction in the front where the lens comes out and it is seeing some resistance to drive the motor and you need to ensure that the new batteries are fully charged before use. Do a close inspection of the front of the camera and see if there is any small particle (like a grain of sand) in the lens assembly - but more than likely the lens motor circuits or drivers have failed. Just as an FYI - my wife had a similar Olympus model with the same failure - it was out of warranty and Olympus wanted $175 to repair.

Thanks,
No I dont accept this answer i have inspected and the batteries that i put into my camera are fully charged and or/new.
HiCustomer

I will opt out, perhaps someone else can provide some additional information.

Thanks,
Can someone please help me with the issues i have with my camera? I only had the camera for a year and after that it stopped working.
HiCustomer

The items I mentioned to you earlier are correct - there are more extreme things you can try - since the camera is out of warranty - you can look at this web site and see if you are willing to try some of them, but you could damage your camera more - you will note the information I provided is also mentioned on this web site. I do recommend you remove your SD card and copy the pictures you may have on it to your computer.

Hope this works for you.

Thanks,
Rod, Systems Engineer