Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Sony DVD player DVP-NC85H. The error reads E27 00.

I have a Sony DVD...
I have a Sony DVD player DVP-NC85H. The error reads E27:00. I already cleared the jammed disc, but the error won't clear. Any suggestions? I will upgrade my payment if the solution works.
12/20/2008
Rod, Systems Engineer
HiCustomer

Once you have cleared the jammed disc, it might need a simple reset. Unplug the unit from the wall outlet/surge strip for about 5 minutes and then plug it back in.

I have already tried that.
HiCustomer

For some reason, I can't get the service manual to come up - corrupted file. But I believe this is a carousel unit and there is a possibility that another DVD is also skewed in the carriage. Here's something to try:

Unscrew the three screws on the back and the two on the sides you can pop the top off and see the tray. Open it up and remove all of the discs. Replace the covers/screws and then reload the DVDs as normal. Unplug the unit first, and after you remove the discs double check for disc damage or any other obstructions in the unit.

I did that already, except I didn't try reloading the cds and then powering the unit up. I will give that a shot. Perhaps it is searching for the disc it believes should be in the unit.

I have some experience fixing cd players and other audio equipment. I will reply on Tuesday if the solution works or doesn't.

I must admit I was skeptical about prepaying, but after seeing how this site is working, I am satisfied even if the solutions don't work. Thanks.

Thank youCustomer-

Let me know your results.

None of these solutions worked. The unit is free of all obstructions that I can see. The tray turns freely on power up, but the drawer will not open and then the unit displays the E27:00 error and shuts down. I really think this needs a code to clear from Sony. Those bitches want 130 dollars to exchange for a rebuilt unit. You can buy a new one with this technology for less than that. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
HiCustomer

Sorry for your frustration - that's the problem with some consumer units today - they are commodities that are to be just thrown away when they stop working - not good for the landfills. I agree that you could buy a newer and more advanced unit for $130 - and for a little more, a combination Blue-Ray and DVD player. There's a chance that the carriage drive motor is jammed, or just shot and possibly the drive electronics/logic is bad.

Paul
Paul, Technician

HelloCustomer there is no code to clear the error. The error will go away by itself when the problem the tray won't operate is fixed. There are two motors in your unit. One is for rotating the tray, and the other is for moving the tray in and out. This one is called the loading motor and it uses a belt & pulley's to drive a gear. Chances are your belt is broken, or is slipping or has popped off. You can't get to the belt unless you remove the whole mechanism from the chassis and flip it over, not just the tray but the entire mechanism. If you need to eject the tray to get to anything, there is a small hole in the bottom of the unit for putting a small flat head screwdriver into. This allows you to rotate the gear to manually eject the tray. When you turn the unit on, it does a self check of the mechanism and if it sees a problem it gives an error code. If the belt is broken or popped off, you should hear it running at least, unless of course the mech is jammed. I would first try the screwdriver idea because it will at least let you know if everything is moving freely.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the accept button and if you need further assistance or part numbers, you can ask a follow question(s).

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul, Technician

This sounds like an acceptable answer. I had a Nakamichi back in the day where the eject belt broke. I fixed it with a rubber band and it still works to this day.

How many screws hold in the entire chassis and where are they located? Also, if the motor is dead, is it definitely the motor or could it be the power source for the eject motor? Finally, I am assuming that it might not be worth fixing if it's the eject motor that is shot? What would the cost of a replacement motor be.

HelloCustomer I have the manual so I can give you part #'s if needed. You will have to remove the front first and I think there are only 4 screws holding the mech to the chassis and the are located along each side. Sorry I have to run now but I will be back later to answer the rest of your questions. Thanks for the accept and the bonus. Feedback is also appreciated.

HelloCustomer here is what I would recommend as a starting place. Use a small screwdriver and rotate it to make the tray assy come out about halfway. (see about this in my post above) Then plug the unit in and power on, and see if the tray will move on it's own at all. There is a position switch that will signal the micro to drive the loading motor. Let me know the results. There is a way to check if the motor is getting voltage without removing the mech. but you need a meter. Also if you are going to attempt to remove the mech, you first have to manually rotate the gear with a screwdriver as described enough to remove the snap-on front plate of the tray assy (not the front panel of the unit). I am pretty sure that needs to be off before you can remove the front panel. Also be careful of a ribbon cable that goes to the front panel from one of the boards inside, it is easy to tear. The motor lists for $35.98 but thats just list, you may find it cheaper. I don't want you to take this thing all apart before doing the screwdriver thing and also if the belt is broken or off you should still hear the motor running.

Follow my instructions and let me know the results.

Paul

Copy. I'll reply tomorrow with what happens. It is Christmas, so if you don't get back to me until after the Holiday that's fine.

I checked the mechanics of the tray eject operation with the screwdriver. Everything here is fine. I removed the dvd mechanism and confirmed the belt is attached to the motor and gears of the eject mechanism and that is fine. I re-assembled the unit and removed the dvd rotating tray. While this was off I powered up the unit and put a meter to the motor leads for the rotation of the tray. I was able to read a steady 4.3 volts on this motor when energized on power up. The eject motor did not operate at all during power up. I tested the eject motor leads during power up and there was no voltage being applied to this motor. I noticed that the leads run to a small circuit board under the mechanism. There is a micro switch there which I did not test. But I manually moved the switch and tried powering up the unit with the micro switch in different positions. It had no effect. My next guess would be to manually apply voltage across the eject motor to see if it would turn at all, but I'm not sure if this would damage anything else up or down stream in the unit. I am willing to try further suggestions.

I do have a similiar cd player from Sony. It is a 5 disc carousel that I would bet would be the same eject motor and possibly the same motor circuit board (I don't know the technical term for this card). I could rob parts from that player. I don't use it anymore because the laser tracking mechanism is malfunctioning when the you get to cd tracks past 10 or 11. If there is an easy fix for this, I would rather have this unit working correctly and I could just buy a 60 dollar single carriage dvd player or possibly a blue ray. However, I am under the impression that fixing the laser tracking assembly rather expensive and not worth the effort.

HiCustomer good work and thanks for your thoroughness. Yes you can apply a voltage to test the motor but it should be disconnected first. my guess it that it is ok since you did not have voltage there. The motor is driven off ic201 on the main board, but the chip is a flat pack surface mount. It is very possible the chip has failed. I am going to go over the manual again and I will let you know if there is anything else you should check before throwing it in the trash. I would like to offer a suggestion for your cd player though. Since you mention it plays up until a certain track, this suggests that the laser itself is ok. The laser moves along rails and is usually driven by a motor via gears. It is possible that there is grit in the gear or something else preventing it from traveling from one end to the other. Even the grease on the rails could be gummed up enough to cause this. The laser begins reading discs from the center and slowly moves toward the end. I have seen where the plastic gear gets a split and spreads enough to cause problems. Check this area out and you may find the problem. You may have to remove the drive motor to check if the laser can move freely and easily along it's rails. There should be no tightness or binding. You would be surprised at how little resistance it takes to "stall" the motor and even if the rails look clean I have seen binding occur in the bushing that the rails go through.

Paul

Thanks for the info on the lasar tracking mechanism. I will check this out. I might just keep the dvd player around for a while, maybe I can salvage some parts from it. I'll leave positive feedback for you later. Hope you had a nice holiday.