Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have an old Hammond organ, about 50=-60 years old. It has…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old Hammond organ, about 50=-60 years old. It has not been played in the past 30 years. It now does not play at all. When I turn it on, the light goes on but no keys give any sound. it has never been abused, just sat in a room as a piece of furniture so it is beautiful. How can I determine what is wrong. If I were to look at its inside can I determine whether any radio tubes are dead and need to just be replaced. What else could I do to assess its non sound? It is model L-102; serial number 10785

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your L-102?

The organ sits in a chapel of an old school in the Bronx which I gave it to and has not been played for some 30 years. So it could have become disabled any time during that period.

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

Its sound comes from within the organ itself and does not require headphones or external speakers

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is about it.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
5/2/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Harry, Customer Service replied 23 days ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Harry: Do you have my original question to respond to? Or am I supposed to repeat it again here. I typed in "yes" to the above box assuming you had my original question.
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 22 days ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am a Hammond certified technician. I will try to help you today. This organ uses a motor driven generationg system for the notes. There should be a shelf in the back that has this large mechanical device on it. on the left side is a blue motor. Is that motor running?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hello Ron: I will get back to you about this question you ask. I have to wait until the school opens again next week where the organ is located to check out the blue motor you refer to. Hang on with me. Edward
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 20 days ago

That is fine with me. The only problem is there is a timer on the website that after a given length of time the question goes inactive.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ron: do you know when the "timer" length goes inactive?

I'm not sure but I think it is about a week from the question being opened, so we are pretty close to that now.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I don't want to lose you. How can I extend this service from you. I will not get into the school until next Thursday. Is my communication here like this enough to keep us open for another week?

There is only a few of us answering musical questions, so your chance of getting me is good. If the question does drop off you can request me at any time.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
thanks!! I will get the info as quickly as I can on Thursday. The only info I can provide to you at this time is the following. When I turn the organ on the on switch lights up and then there is a loud motorized noise that sounds out continuously. When I look inside the back of the organ I see two faintly lit radio tubes on the middle of the top shelf. On the bottom right side is a larger radio tube that is also faintly lit. I cannot make out the numbers on the smaller tubes, but the larger one is 31262-13 MZW.

Great. look for any tubes that are not lighting at all. The number on that tube is a production code, not the actual tube number. You are looking for a number that starts with a 12 or a 5 or a 6, for example, 12AU7, or 5U4, or 6BQ5.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
OK I will check that out and get back to you.
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 14 days ago

Have you had a chance to check out the motor and tubes yet?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
thanks for getting back to me Ron. I was afraid our time had run out and I just got the measurements last night to your questions. It goes like this:
1. There are two shelves inside the organ. The top shelf left side has two tubes. They say 61-52 13820 and 5143 27. The top right side has one number 12AX7.2. The bottom side has six tubes. Beginning at the left and going toward the right, it goes like this: EL84 6BQ5 62-01; then EL 84 6BQ5 62-01; then 12AX70 612852 and 12B47; finally, 12BH7A 6204 274; and 12AX7. I don't know if this adds up to six, but all the numbers are there. I see that some of these tubes do have the numbers you spoke of3. It seems all the tubes have a faint light, some very faint.The one feature that "cries out" is the loud motorized continuous sound that comes when the organ switch is turned on. it sounds like a loud fire alarm sounding that does not stop.I hope some of this helps in my attempt to self correct the organ's sickness. Do you think that is possible or should I think of just scrapping the whole thing. It is such a beautifull piece of furniture since it has rarely being played or touched that I would hate to do this. But it is old (about 50-60 years old) and I am wondering if parts exist to replace if the tubes are the problem.Thanks
Edward

OK from what you are saying here is where I think we are. On the bottom side of that shelf is the mechanical generator. That is what actually makes the notes. For that unit to work right it is supposed to be run regularly and oiled "once" a year. Obviously that has not been done. with the loud noise you hear, that is where I believe the problem is, so you need to direct the service in that area. The blue motor needs to be turning. and turning the generator which is to the right of it. "START THERE", there are oil cups on each side of the blue motor.. There is also two white funnels on top of the generator. Oil the motor and generator. Use only Hammond oil. Let it sit for a couple of days so the oil can get to the bearings. If that does not clear it up. You will have to go to plan "B" Lift the generator up from the shelf and spray all the bearings "and there is a lot of them" with WD-40 then manually turn the motor shaft until it feels free. Your problem is letting the unit sit without being used or oiled for 30 years. Good luck.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Ron: I have read your notes many times and appreciate the details you have given me to go to the next step. I am glad to hear that the problem probably is in the lack of oiling over the decades and that is where I should begin.I will need to know how to know where the oil cups are located for both the motor and the generator you speak of. How will I determine these locations?. Will it be clear to me where the two white tunnels on the top of the generator are as well as the oil cups on each side of the blue motor? And above all, where the mechanical generator and the blue motor themselves are located?I will not discuss Plan B at this point but wait to see if Plan A does the job.Where do I buy the Hammond oil?thanks for this conversation.
edward
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 13 days ago

I can send you some pictures but it would be Monday before I can do that. I can sell you the Hammond oil. It cost $6.95 a tube plus shipping and each oiling is one tube. It has been so long since the last oiling you should need two tubes the first time. For oil call(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Ron: thanks again for your quick response. Please do send those pics you refer to in your note. Monday is fine since I do not have access to the organ until weekdays anyway.. I would like to have you send the oil and I will pay for the two tubes plus shipping you refer to. Shall I still call the number you gave me or is this consent enough to send the product to me? Edward

Give that number a call on Monday and we can set up the delivery for you

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
ok
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 11 days ago

Here are the oiling points. Use 1-2 drops on the motor and split what is left in the tube between the two white funnels on the generator.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Thanks again Ron for this continued conversation. I just called your number and ordered the oil to be shipped to me. I also see your note about oiling the motor as well as the white funnels on the generator. I printed up your attachment diagram of the interior of the organ and will try to figure things out from there about where to put the oil. I wil also keep this conversation going throughout the week by letting you know when the oil is delivered. Then my hoped for "success" in doing the job.

Your oil has been shipped

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Ron: Having received the Hammod oil you sent me, I tried to oil the parts you indicated in your diagram you sent me of the sections in the motor and generator of the organ. I had difficulty I locating those parts, not seeing the same in the diagram and the actual organ interior..I think I found the motor part, a small tube like structure with a flip-flop cap which could be held open to insert the oil This tube structure was adjacent to the motor itself. I could not locate the generator cups you spoke of or circled in your diagram. I would like to send you picture of the organ interior, which I just took to see if that might help you locate the exact opening to insert the oil. I do not know how to send these pics to you. I see there is an icon to the right of the message box where I am typing this note to you, but it is not working for me. Could I send you the pics by direct e mail to you ? If so I would attach the pics that way. THAT I am able to do. Edward
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 6 days ago

If you look at the wooden shelf above the generator you will see holes cut into it. In those holes are white plastic funnels that is where you oil the generator. And AGAIN: "IS THE MOTOR AND GENERATOR TURNING???"

FYI...You said you had an L102, The picture I sent is the back of the L102 directly from the Hammond service manual.

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Ron: I got your explanation and reviewed the diagram again. The wooden shelf you refer to above the generator I have located. So the generator itself is the long section of clips with insulated wires running from right to left of the whole width of the organ. Above this clipped section is the wooden shelf you refer to. Is that correct? The wooden shelf above the clipped section has two or three holes cut into it, rather ordinary looking. .Are these the points to squeeze the oil into.. Within these holes are the white plastic funnels you speak of. Do I just squeeze the oil into the holes or do I have to also locate these whites plastic funnels? Is this correct so far?On the far left side is the self starting synchronous motor with a tube like structure next to it with a hinge type cap to lift up, squeeze the oil, then release your hold and it snaps back into place. Is this correct as well?So far I have just managed to oil that tube like capped piece next to the motor but could not locate the generator points. If I am correct in now understanding where these generator points are, as spoken of above, I will do that this week.At this point the motor and generator are NOT turning.

Yes, those white cups are where you put the oil. The tubes with caps are the oiling for the motor. Let's go over the oiling instructions one more time. Take one of the tubes of oil, put about 5 drops of oil in each of the tubes for the motor. Then split what is left of the tube between the two white cups. Do this for each tube of oil. Manually rotate the motor shaft without turning the unit on. Use your hand and turn the shaft that runs from the motor to the generator until it is relatively free. then start the organ. If that generator and motor do not turn you will get no sound from the organ.

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Ron: You are dealing here with a man who knows absolutely nothing mechanical. so bear with me..I do not see any "white cups" anywhere for either the motor or generator. All I see is one capped tube next to the motor on the left and a couple of holes in the plank of wood above the clipped wire section that extends the width of the organ from left to right.which I take to be the generator.. Are the white cupped structures hidden in back of the holes in this plank of wood?Where is the shaft that runs from the motor to the generator?
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 5 days ago

Well, in all honesty, this is not rocket science. Let's start with the motor. On each end of the motor is a tube sticking up with a flip cap on it. "one on each end of the motor." You lift that cap up and put the oil into the tubes. Now for the generator. Look down into the holes in the shelf over the generator. There are a total of two funnels one about 1/3 of the way down and the other is about 2/3 of the way down. Most of them are white plastic, there are a few that used a metal brass colored funnel. Put the rest of the oil in there. Now for the shaft. Standing from behind the organ. Find the motor, coming out the center of the motor on the right side is a shaft. If you follow that shaft you will find a spring coupling it another shaft that goes into the generator. That is the shaft that should be turning when the motor is running. That is the shaft you rotate by hand to loosen it up. I really wish i could be there to do it for you because this entire process normally takes about a minuit.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Ron: I think your clarification has made things clearer and thank you for this. When I go into the school sometime this week I will bring all your notes with me and follow sentence by sentence. While I know this is not rocket science, it is for me. And of course I do know that if you were there it would all be done in a minute (if even that long.) It will be several days before you hear from me again so don't forget me.
Ron Winston
Ron Winston