Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I own a Peavey DPM 488, 88 weighted key synthesizer. It

I own a Peavey...

I own a Peavey DPM 488, 88 weighted key synthesizer. It powers up but won’t play. The guy who worked on it before said it may be the “sound board ?” or something like that, and he didn’t think they made the part for it anymore . Do you think it can be fixed ? No one around here wants to deal with it. I live 20 miles from Charlotte, NC. Can anyone help ?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

A Peavey DPM 488 synthesizer.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Peavey

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I believe a used board was replaced but it only worked for about a month

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

That’s about all I know at this time.

4/8/2018
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am a Peavey technician. Here is the situation. For a short period of time Peavey made keyboards. They were a good sounding unit and relatively reliable. The problem was "as with a lot of companies" They did not sell well with the competition, so Peavey stopped production. At this point in time, there are few to no parts around anymore. As for the problem, it could be almost anywhere in the unit, from a blown fuse to a bad board. The only way you will know is to have it looked at. It would cost a minimum service charge so you will need to decide if you want to try or get a different unit. If you want to try here are the Peavey service centers in your area. Good luck.

TILLMAN MUSIC*****N
ROCK HILL, SC 29730 US(###) ###-####**@******.***

HERBERT MAC MCMILLAN JR
1515 PENNY LANE
LENOIR, NC 28645 US(###) ###-####**@******.***

JACKSON S MUSIC STORE INC
1409 S STRATFORD RD
WINSTON SALEM, NC###-##-####US(###) ###-####**@******.***

PECKNEL MUSIC CO INC
1312 N PLEASANTBURG DR
GREENVILLE, SC 29607 US(###) ###-####/p>

MUSIC MASTER INC.
2007 US HWY 15 401 S
LAURINBURG, NC 28352 US(###) ###-####**@******.***

TRITECH ELECTRONICS*****br />GREENSBORO, NC 27405 US(###) ###-####**@******.***
WWW.TRITECH-ELECTRONICS.COM

THE AMP SHOP*****br />ASHEVILLE, NC 28806 US(###) ###-####**@******.***
HTTP://THEAMPSHOP.NET/

REEL TIME SIGHT & SOUND*****br />BURLINGTON, NC 27215 US(###) ###-####**@******.***

Ron Winston
Thank you for getting back with me. I will probably try to have one of the technicians you mentioned take a look at it for me.
Can you recommend a decent brand of synthesizer for me to look at purchasing in case my DPM can’t be fixed ? I would like it to have at least 73 keys, and semi-weighted at a decent price. I was thinking of a Yamaha or Roland. Please advise.
Thank You !

I would agree with a Yamaha or Roland. They are both good units and they have both been in business for a long time.

Thanks Ron !! I’m sure I’ll be bugging you again in the near future....LOL

Anytime, glad to help.

Thanks again for your excellent, expert advice !