Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

Working on a Peavey FX2 mixer. I am experiencing static when…

Working on a Peavey...

Working on a Peavey FX2 mixer. I am experiencing static when I connect a dynamic mic and lower static when I connect a condenser mic.

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your FX2?

6 months

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

When I turn off the 48 volt phantom, the static diminishes greatly but I can't then use my condenser mics.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/28/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now. Where is your input gain knob set for each channel you are using? Are you getting static, or do you mean hiss?

no. It is Static! When it was working normal I can turn the gain on each channel and get hiss when it goes all the way. The static is there at any position that I turn the gain control for each or any channel.

Ok, disconnect the microphones, but leave the cables connected to the board. Is the static still there?

Ok, now switch out the cables. I believe you are experiencing bad/noisy cables, which is very common, especially if one has a broken ground. Use good quality cables with phantom power and condensers. Cheap cables will induce noise. If you disconnect the cables and the static goes away, AND the mics are not connected to the cables, you have bad cables that are causing the problem.

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
I have good cables and connectors. They are brand new and of good quality. I connect them to and older mixer that I have and the mics and cables work fine on it.

Is the static still there when you disconnect the cables?

I kept trouble shooting and found a defective connection on the 48 volt phantom supply filter capacitor that was repaired at the factory. I removed the nearby traces and jumped the +48 volt connection with an insulated wire. This solved the problem. This capacitor was on the main in/out PCB of the mixer. Thanks for your diagnostics. It was deeper that just cables etc.