Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

Ron, i have a Korg Krome 88 and at start up it says: "Read a…

Customer Question
Hi Ron, i have a Korg...
Hi Ron,
i have a Korg Krome 88 and at start up it says:
"Read a system from SD card ....
loading application Failed"
nothing works. I already changed the inner 4GB SD card but that didn´t work.Peter Hirschbrich Germany
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/29/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Harry, Customer Service replied 22 days ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hi Harry,
thank´s for your reply. My problem is:
i bought a Korg Krome 88 from a private person and it worked properly for about one year. Then all of a sudden it didn´t work anymore showing the message in left upper corner of the display that says:
"Read a system from SD Card and Run the system"
"Loading application Failed ....."
I searched the internet and found out that there is an internel 4GB SD card which i expected to contain the needed system data. I thought this card might be corrupted. So i called the registered Korg office in Germany and they told to order a new card over a german music store.
I am an electronic technician so i ordered a new card, got it, opened up the bottom of the instrument, changed the card and - same shit again.
So please be so kind and tell me some magic words that i can speak to break this spell.
Peter Hirschbrich
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Sorry can´t enter my phone number because i live in Germany.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hi Harry,
any news for my Korg Kroma 88?
Peter
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 20 days ago
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is Rusty. I was locked out of this question until now. Click here. Your Korg has lost the system software, so it's looking at the SD card for a backup. Remove the SD card, and try booting that way. If you don't get a system file, use the link I supplied and put the system file on the SD card as per the instructions in the .zip file. That will load the system, and should get you back up and running. Let me know how it works.

I also see that you have a card from Korg. Load that into the SD slot, with a blank SD card underneath. Tell me if that loads to the system.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Hi Rusty,
the internal SD-card i got from Korg is in its place. The external SD-card (on the back of the machine) is replaced by a new one having the downloaded and extracted "Korg"-file on it as described.
But - nothing realy changed. It is frustrating.
Sorry Peter
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
again: i live in Germany. I cannot type in my phone number into a form that´s made for american phone numbers only.
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 19 days ago

I want you to remove the SD card from Korg, and replace it with a blank card, then run the update. I don't want it to try to load any software before trying to load the downloaded file. Please tell me the results.

Please ignore the phone call requests, they are not sent by me.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Hi Rusty,
my english is not so perfect, so please let me ask you some stupid questions:
1) by "remove the SC card" do you mean the one in the back slot of the machine or the internal 4GB tiny card?
2) It´s easter time and i don´t have any blank card around. What i have is a 64GB tiny card for inside of the Korg and a 2GB card from my camera for the back slot.
3) I downloaded and extracted the update file and have it on my computer now. I understand that you want me to mount this "Korg" file onto a blank SD card, put this card into the back slot and turn the keyboard on so that the "update" file is the one the keyboard sees first. Correct?OK. I tried point 3 with the 2GB card of my camera and nothing changed. I also tried to start the keyboard holding down the "exit + page" keys. Same result.
Thanks for trying to help me.
Peter

The slot where the Korg card went, I want a blank card.

The update should be on the other SD card. We're trying to get it to load onto a blank system.

If that doesn't do the trick, you will need to have 2 things checked:

1. The SD card slot.

2. Have the memory flashed by the factory.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok. I hope i understood what you mean.
1) You want me to open up the keyboard, replace the inner card by a blanc one.
2) Then put the other card with the update in the back slot.
3) Start to see what happens.
This will take a little while because i have to order 2 new cards
I will contact you in a few days.
Peter
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 18 days ago

You have the instructions correct. I'll watch for your reply.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Hi Rusty,
statement: the old card for the back slot was corrupted
test 1: original inner card, no back slot card -> see picture
test 2: new inner card i bought from Korg germany (should have the system files on it), no back slot card -> see picture
test 3: new blank inner card, back slot card with extracted update files on it -> little difference: the sentence "Loading application Failed ...." comes a little later.
That means: the machine knows that it has no system files and tries to load them from back slot card but is not satisfied about what it found.
Peter
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 15 days ago

Hmm, this is interesting. You could have a pin or two that need cleaning inside the card slot, or the card you got from Korg is corrupted as well.

I would first see if Korg will exchange your card for a new one. Since it's "kind of" recognizing cards, it makes this a tricky diagnosis. Before using rubbing alcohol on an old card to clean the inside of the card slot, I'd like you to get a different card from Korg.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Sounds good. I tried this already: Korg USA says: call Korg Germany. Korg Germany says: call your dealer. If you have no dealer because you bought from an other musician you go to a music store nearby hoping that they will not cheat you cause you don´t buy anything serious. Living in US is the better place in this case.
I don´t know how but i will try to find out if there is anything on the card i bought from Korg. If not then the music stor sewed me.
What does american people do in such a case? Does Korg care about in any way or are they to big in the meantime?

Korg is usually pretty good about customer service, they are a reputable company here, and many large bands use their gear. Give me a few minutes to see if I can find a US supplier that will ship to Germany.

In the meantime, put the Korg card into your computer. You should see files on the card. Take a picture of the card and send it to me, I also want to check the specs on the card they sent you.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
This is my problem that i don´t know how to solve. I ain´t got no card reader where i can put such a small card into. I have a little chance putting it into my (shitty) tablett as an extention card and try to see what´s on it. But i guess this will take a little while. I poste again if i am successful.
Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Ok. Both cards (original as well as the bought one) cannot be read by windows. So i cannot send you what´s on it - tf so. And i don´t want to format the cards as from windows suggested cause i don´t want to destroy anything thats maybe on it.
Sorry that this case is so complicated.

Ok, that's a Linux card. You can run it from Linux or Ubuntu. If you know someone who has one of those operating systems, they can check the card. Otherwise, a local music store may be able to check the contents for you. Don't format the card! Does the card have a 10 on it, or a 4? It should be a class 10 card.

Those cards are fast enough, that's not the problem. My concern is that either the file wasn't prepared properly, or there is a bad sector on the card, preventing it from loading all the way. Since it appears to read the card, deeming the card reader faulty seems like it's ruled out. Were you able to read it on Linux?

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional