Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I just purchased a roland kv 25 e-set. I have a stereo audio…

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a roland kv 25 e-set. I have a stereo audio jack coming from my mac headphone out(1/8) and am only getting poor quality sound for drums on one side and poor qualty music on other side. Please help!

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Roland? What have you tried so far?

Just today - kit was delivered yesterday. I tried with Mac Mini(2012) and my droid - neither work.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

3/27/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Can you describe the poor sound?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Half of a stereo signal
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Text is fine - no need to call.

Ok, how about the sound quality? The stereo will require some tricks, tell me about the sound quality of the left and right, and also tell me which program you are using on your Mac. I'm a sound engineer, I can help you track down where you're losing quality, and how to get it to play in both L and R tracks.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Spotify.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Listened to Spotify on phones from Mac - no issues.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Text ok.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Are you still looking - haven't heard from you.

Don't worry about the phone call request, that's automatic from the site, not from me. Give me just a couple of minutes.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Cool.

Ok, so you're getting your music from Spotify? I'm a bit confused... When you're playing the TD-20, are you playing a song from Spotify or USB? Are you recording yourself playing?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I play a song from Spotify and the audio is picked up because I am plugged into Headphone out and that is the device selected for output.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
It it TD-25
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I meant it is TD-25 - roland brain.

Ok, tell me how you have your TD-25 connected to your computer.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Not yet. Just testing the the audio in function that allows one to hear music and drums. I haven't set up the usb drive. That option is for putting music on a stick and listening on TD-25.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The only thing I see on web search regarding audio-in feature is make sure it is a stereo cable. I have a GE stereo cables with two black lines at each end of cable on inputs.

That is false. The master out jacks are two mono outputs. Left out is mono, right out is mono. If you plug into either of them, you will hear the left earphone only.

Are you using an amplifier with this setup, or just your computer speakers? Do you plan on having an amplifier? It is made for that...

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
There is an audio out pin jack on Mac and an audio -in pin jack on drum brain. L and R out on drum brain are Mains. I am also using Apollo Twin from Universal Audio but it doesn't come in to play in this instance because I am using headphone out (pin jack) device for Sound Output on Mac.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Rusty - I have to get dinner to keep the peace here. Thanks a lot for helping out. Have a good audio day!

Ok, you're talking about a 'mini' stereo jack input for an ipod or phone, and the output is for headphones. You can use it this way:

Phone to audio in.

Headphone out to Mac input.

Headphone out of Mac to headphones.

The trick here is, to make sure that your audio level isn't distorting, that's what's causing it to distort. The headphones are for reference, not for going to your Mac. Here is a better setup:

Click here. Use this cable from the master out jacks to your Mac.

Connect a Phone to your audio input.

Monitor through the headphone out of your TD-25.

Output of your Mac to an amplifier.

You're dealing with audio that your Mac speakers cannot handle. You need to pay attention to gain structure. That means, adjusting your levels so they are not distorted when they go into your Mac, that's how you get good audio signal. Then amplify the good audio signal. If you over drive the signal going into your Mac, it will be distorted, poor quality audio. If you amplify that, it will amplify the garbage signal, and sound horrible.

We can continue later, I'll get dinner as well. Please don't forget to leave a 3-5 star rating. Rating doesn't close the question, and you can reach me here any time.

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I should be ok from here. I will give you a five. Thanks.
Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional