Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have made a recording on my 505 and I've saved it to USB.

Hi, my name...

Hi, my name is Chuck. I have made a recording on my 505 and I've saved it to USB

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

Yamaha

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Yamaha instrument? What have you tried so far?

Yamaha CVP 505 Clavinova

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

My name is Chuck

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I need to hear from you soon. .
My question must be out of your expertise.
Help, please!
3/25/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Sorry, you asked your question during my non-work hours. I'm available now, what is it that you are trying to do?

I have a made an instrumental recording and saved it as a song on USB1.I want to record my vocal via Mic. I think I need to change the recorded accompaniment to WAV form, but I'm not sure how to record the vocal over the recorded track.
I paid $5 & $30 for a service plan. That should cover the phone call?

The phone call is an additional service, it's an automated email by the website, not me. Please stand by, I am getting to your response now, I just finished up with another customer, and you're first on my list.

Rusty, I will stand by to hear from you.
Chuck

Ok Chuck, here's how it works:

You have 16 channels you can record to. Your piano is on a single track, likely track 1. What you'll need to do is tell the piano not to record over track 1, and to record your vocals to track 2. Since you've already successfully recorded, this should be fairly simple to you, give me a couple of minutes to type this up. You are my priority customer at this time.

While holding down the SONG [REC] button, press the [1 ▲▼] – [8 ▲▼] buttons to set the desired channels to “REC.” Then assign the desired part to the channel by using the [C]/[D] buttons.

I want to record to track 3, just in case the piano recorded a stereo track to 1 and 2.

Press the [SONG SELECT] button to call up the Song Selection display.

Press the song REC button and the stop button like you are going to record.

Hold down the song REC button, and press the 1 up button until you see track 3. That is the track we will record to.

Start the playback, which will begin the recording.

Let me know how it sounds! All of the recording process is the same, with the exception of the second step, which is replaced by selecting which track will be recorded to. You can record up to 16 tracks, one at a time.

I'm using channels 1-3 & 9-16

Ok, so instead of recording to track 3, record to any other empty track. It will only record to the track that you designate.

I chose track 4 for the vocal.I pressed rec.&4. Pressed play, sang a few bars, pressed stop, then play back. No vocal. Tried again. No vocal
I tried channel on, hit 4 & record. Channel 4 lit up and a small drop down box appeared showing part ch:4right 1. No recorded vocal.

Ok, it's still looking at the piano for the audio to record. Give me just a minute to look up how to tell it to listen to the microphone input to record.

Maybe this is where we have to somehow use WAV form?

Yes, it will record as a WAV. It should also record your performance as a WAV. When you set your track for recording, do you see anything that says INPUT? If it's still recording the piano, then it's looking at the piano L or R for audio. We want it to look at the mic input for audio, to record that to the new track.

Found it! When you select a voice, you must select MIC. You mentioned it's recording the R side, set that to Voice, and you should be recording.

There is no MIC in the voice control section. There is MIC on the far left under the MASTER VOLUME dial. It appears MIC SIGNAL green
OVER red. The colors a tiny lights. Don't think that's relevant.
When I tried recording on 4, the drop down box could be changed to midi. In the box there are arrows up & down, but I can't make them function.
Sometimes the box would show Solo on channel 4.

We're getting close... Solo on channel 4 just means only channel 4 is metered. Signal Green should be lit, red means the mic is too hot. Do you have the mic plugged into Aux? Aux will not record. Mic will, the switch should be set to mic, and the mic should be turned up so the green SIGNAL indicator is lit. If it isn't lit, there is no signal going into the mic input.

I should also mention that if it's a passive mic, you won't worry about phantom power, but if it's an active mic, and phantom is not present, it will not work.

I got down to check MIC connection. I switched it to line. Maybe this is worth a try. I'll let you know.
Panic! I set 4 to record. I lost except 7 where I had recorded a percussion part. I pressed playback. No song only that Trac 7 played. How can I retrieve my song and all those tracs?

Click here and look at page 29. The bottom of step 3 tells you how to restore the song. Don't save it in its current state!

I have written this 5 times. It keeps dumping off. I have p.29 from my manual. In past recordings when I make a change, a notice appears to ask me if I want to keep the changes. That was easy and safe. I don't know how to cause that to occur. I'm still in a state of panic trying to restore

As long as you didn't save the changes, you should be able to recall the song from USB. It's also a good idea to backup your USB data to a computer in case this happens.

I RETRIEVED/RESTORED MY WORK, WHEW!!

That's wonderful! As long as you don't save your mistakes, you can always restore your song.

Now check that your green signal light is on for Mic.

Rusty,
I'm out of time and the problem of adding a vocal to my recording is unsolved, but I do appreciate your efforts. I will return to the problem tomorrow afternoon.
Chuck
Rusty,
I'm back at my keyboard. Are you available to continue working with me?
Rusty,I tried to request you again. No luck. You're busy.
Chuck
This is really annoying and very time consuming. I'm trying to get expert service and there is no answer!

I am at my desk limited hours on Mondays. I'm back. Have you gone over the previous instructions, and gotten a signal light on the mic? Remember, this does not record from the Aux input, but it will record from the mic input.

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Rusty,
I'm trying over and over to write to you. My message disappears and I can't get back to it or you
Rusty, I do get a green light on the MIC when I speak loud and quick.
Rusty, are you there?
This system is so cumbersome and confusing and slow, it is driving me crazy.
What became of Rusty?
Do I have to keep checking this site for 24 hours? I can't do that.