Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

Power is on but no sound from keyboard. I haven't played in…

Customer Question
Power is on but...

Power is on but no sound from keyboard

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your instrument?

I haven't played in a couple of months

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

Neither

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/24/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Rusty, Music Professional replied 3 months ago
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

ok
Is that $26 plus the $36?

I don't do payments, but you can ignore the phone call request, they are automatically sent by the website.

Hmm, this is an old keyboard, in fact it's the very first digital piano. It's in a museum in Carlsbad...

The tone generator has failed, since you're not getting any sound from the headphones or any other output. That means no signal is getting to the amplifier circuit. Here are your options:

You can take it to an electronics repair shop, and tell them there is either a bad resistor, or bad capacitor in the tone generator. That's the board that all of the keys are connected to, then it sends the signal to the amplifiers. It's not tough to locate once you open the keyboard.

This keyboard in great condition is worth about $150-200. You can get a new, more advanced keyboard for about the same price. It will be around $60 to fix, if parts are available.

Think about your options, I can give you suggestions if you need them.

Thank you.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you need suggestions. Digital pianos have come a long way since 1983 when that keyboard was manufactured. Yamaha has a great line of newer Clavinovas.

Please rate 3-5 stars for my service. If you still need help, please reply.