Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I bought a Yamaha P-105 digital piano in 2014. It hasn't…

I bought a Yamaha...

I bought a Yamaha P-105 digital piano in 2014. It hasn't been used hard, or even very much, but now there are four keys which do not sound. They are two Gs and two C#s in the upper register. How can I get this keyboard repaired?

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your P-105?

I noticed it first a week ago.

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

If I understand your question, I'm using the speakers built into the instrument.

3/23/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Still waiting for your answer.

So sorry! I forgot to hit the send button. Here's my initial answer:

The contact strips that the keys connect with when you strike them can wear out, causing certain keys not to sound. They are a maintenance item, and need to be replaced when they wear out. Unplug the piano, and remove all of the screws from the bottom of the piano. Flip it right side up, and the console should flip up, exposing the electronics.

You'll notice that when you strike a key, it hits a contact strip. That rubber strip needs to be replaced, and it will make those keys like brand new. You can order the parts here:(###) ###-#### Monday through Friday, from 7:30AM - 5:00PM Pacific Time (closed 12PM - 1PM).

If you would rather take the keyboard in for repair, you're looking at about an hour labor, and less than $20 for the new contact strip. Click here, select pianos, digital pianos, P-series, and enter your zip code to find your nearest service center.

Please rate 5 stars for my service. If you need more help, please reply.

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional