Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I moved my girlfriends Roland Digital Piano yesterday and…

Customer Question
I moved my girlfriends...

I moved my girlfriends Roland Digital Piano yesterday and now the screen will not come on

Technician's Assistant: When could you last turn on your instrument?

It worked before we moved it. It was just from one room to the other

Technician's Assistant: Do you have access to a voltmeter to test the voltage coming from the AC adapter?

The piano part works its the detatchable screen that will no longer come on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

That all of the cables have been checked and re checked

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/22/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 3 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am a Roland certified technician. Can you give me the model number of the Roland unit you have?

HPi-7F

Couple of questions. Is the back light on the display coming on or is it dead also. Is there any chance the screen was dropped or impacted in the move? Was the cable or connectors damaged in any way?

no, it was only moved maybe 30 feet, was not dropped

Is the back light coming on?

No

A couple of things could have happened. First look at the connector for any broken or bent pins. Make sure again that the connector is completely seated. Was the connector hard to push in when you did it? There is always the possibility the display just went bad and it picked now to do it.

Do you have the owners manual?

I just found a service note 103621and it sounds like a blown fuse

Good Do you want to open the unit up and look for it?

Its at the music studio and Im at home

OK I would start there let me know what you find?

will do

Did you have a chance to check for that fuse?

I’m going to try and take apart the keyboard and change the fuse today, if I have questions, will you be available?

Did the fuse take care of the problem?