Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I am a newly-hired church musician where they have a

Customer Question
Hi Pearl,...

Hi Pearl, I am a newly-hired church musician where they have a CVP-209, with manual (!). I've had multiple failures when attempting to record live-to-floppy disk. The file appears to be on the floppy, and as long as I don't power down the CVP-209, it plays exactly correctly. Yet, once powered down, the file appears on the floppy but the recording is gone. I have no idea where I am failing in the procedure. Can you assist?

Technician's Assistant: When could you last turn on your instrument?

Yesterday

Technician's Assistant: Do you have access to a voltmeter to test the voltage coming from the AC adapter?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

This is a very old church and the electrical outlet is not grounded...your questions suggest this may be part of the problem?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/21/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 3 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello My name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. Can you clarify on point in your question. The floppy disc has a file which is the song, When you load the disk into the CVP-209 the song is loaded into the memory of the CVP-209 which is where it is played from. Now for the question. When you turn the CVP-209 off do you have to load the disk again for it to play or does it louse the song from the floppy disk as well? A little FYI. The question about the ac power would have nothing to do with your problem, it is just an automated response from the website.

HI Ron, The floppy has a song which was recorded by the previous musician. I've deleted the file on the floppy, attempted to record my own file on the floppy, which does reflect the name of my song. It does play back as anticipated - as long as I don't power the keyboard off. When I do power off, and re-boot, my file appears on the floppy, but the previously recorded song is still there and mine is gone.

Have you tried using a new floppy that has not been recorded on before?

Well, there was only one additional floppy to be found, which responded with a disk error. I found a box of 10 disks (they are not to be found locally!) and haven't had an opportunity to work with a new disk yet. Will try tomorrow once we dig out of the snow storm! Thank you!

One thing to look at. On the back of the disk is a sliding button that is used to lock the disk so you can't record on it. make sure it is in the unlock position.

Ok thank you

Have you had a chance to try another disk yeat?

Just to close this: the new floppy disks arrived so I formatted yet had the same result. The "lock" on all floppies was not active. In desperation, I called YAMAHA directly. They were very helpful and sent me to Louis, a long-term employee who was most familiar with my CVP 207. Louis verified that I was using correct recording procedures but that I was not choosing "SONG" when recording...though all processes after that was correct. He also put me in touch with linktolearnmusic.com for possible followup on obtaining a copy of the training materials originally supplied with the instrument. Tom Folenta from linktolearnmusic.com called me within minutes of my leaving contact information. Between these two gentlemen giving pointers, I'm happy to say that I found where I was making mistakes in the process. Not to be unkind: neither of these gentlemen charged me for assistance. I'd like to have charges associated with your company to be refunded as there was no solution via this exchange. Thanks in advance. Frank Kennerly