Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a MOTIF XS8. I do not use it regularly. I turned it…

Customer Question
I have a MOTIF...

I have a MOTIF XS8. I do not use it regularly. I turned it on tonight and notice that the lower 9 keys have less volume. The volume builds to normal starting on the right key on the end of keyboard. This seems to be true for all instrument modes. The volume levers do not work for high freq section. I do not know this instrument well. I did much better when I purchased it about 5 years ago. I could have accidentally hit a switch or setting at some time since it is out in the open covered by a cloth. It will be a big deal to get this out of the house as I am very disabled.

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your instrument?

Just tonight about an hour ago.

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

Head phones I tried turning them around L vs R

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. It has been a long time since I have used this instrument my knowledge is way down.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/16/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Yamaha keyboard question.

I think that the first thing to try would be a reset of the keyboard to factory settings/values. (You will lose anything you recorded in memory on this keyboard, though.)

I suspect the problem is actually a hardware fault, though - it does not sound like any setting or feature that I know of. If that's what it turns out to be, if the reset does not help it, please Reply telling me your local zip code, so that I can refer you to the authorized local servicers of Yamaha equipment of this type.

As for the factory reset:

- Press the UTILITY button to enter the Utility mode.
- Press the JOB button to select the Utility Job ! Factory Set display.
(The Power On Auto Factory Set item should normally be not-checked.)
- Press the ENTER button. The Are you sure? NO/YES prompt will appear.
- Press the INC/YES button to execute the Factory Settings Reset function.

Please note, that all user data is reset to factory settings when the Factory Set function is executed.

Save any stuff you need to not lose, to an external USB device, before doing the Factory Reset.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

What you recommend what the first thing I did. The unit works in every way and in some instruments there is no difference - but Grand Piano is as I describe. IF you have local service number please send. I will need some one who can come to the house. This things weights more than two hundred pounds. My wife and I could not get I down the stairs.
Thanks for your help.
Ernnest Collins

Thank you for responding. I will need your local zip code, please, to recommend local servicers to you. Please reply with your local zip code.

the number(###) ###-####does not work Please call me at(###) ###-####
My zip is 01902, I am not really sure how broken this may be. the last 8 keys on the right beginning with C have less volume progressively down to the last key - other wise it works fine.
I hope I can tell from the caller Id who is calling. Otherwise we don't answer.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Give me some minutes to look up this matter and instruct you, please...

The Motif series is really elaborated. It *might* be that the Grand Piano voice is not 'broken', but that the highest-octave-fadeoff (to give it a name) could be a feature.

But no such feature is listed on a cursory scan of the Motif series' features and capabilities... so, you might want to have it checked out, or ask an expert, in your region:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENT SERVICE CTR

*****/p>

BOSTON, MA 02115

(###) ###-####/p>

or

AZTECH ELECTRONICS, INC.

246 N. BEACON ST.

WATERTOWN, MA 02472

(###) ###-####/p>

or

WEST SUBURBAN ELECTRONICS CO., LLC

***** UNIT A

NEWTON, MA 02458

(###) ###-####/p>

or

CALLMARK ELECTRONIC SERVICE

***** UNIT B

GLOUCESTER, MA 01930

(###) ###-####/p>

- Those are the nearest ones to you, in that order.

Thanks.

By clicking "Call me" you agree to the additional amount and to credit the Expert. You answer . . . . .
Sorry, the Electronic Musical Instrument Expert is unable to call you right now, but is still available for this online conversation.I don't pay for this telephone conversation that doesn't happen. The number you give does not work(###) ###-#### I am ready to close this issue but not to pay for a call request that never materialized.Ernie

(If no-one calls you - the request is not billed for. That's my understanding of the billing system at JustAnswer.com. I have no power as a JustAnswer Expert over billing and payments, myself... for all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us )

The Motif series is really elaborated. It *might* be that the Grand Piano voice is not 'broken', but that the highest-octave-fadeoff (to give it a name) could be a feature.But no such feature is listed on a cursory scan of the Motif series' features and capabilities... so, you might want to have it checked out, or ask an expert, in your region:MUSICAL INSTRUMENT SERVICE CTR163 MASSACHUSETTS AVEBOSTON, MA 02115(617)(###) ###-####/p>orAZTECH ELECTRONICS, INC.246 N. BEACON ST.WATERTOWN, MA 02472(617)(###) ###-####/p>orWEST SUBURBAN ELECTRONICS CO., LLC337 WATERTOWN ST, UNIT ANEWTON, MA 02458(617)(###) ###-####/p>orCALLMARK ELECTRONIC SERVICE20 KEYSTONE RD, UNIT BGLOUCESTER, MA 01930(978)(###) ###-####/p>- Those are the nearest ones to you, in that order. If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.Thanks.