Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

Just moved a solid state organ to my neighbors and now there…

Customer Question
Just moved a Thomas solid...
Just moved a Thomas solid state organ to my neighbors and now there is no sound, help! Paid movers $225, my husband is going to murder me.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 5 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I am a certified organ technician that has worked on Thomas organs for almost 40 years. The first thing to check is to look under the keyboard for a plug for headphones. Check two things, First, make sure nothing is plugged into that jack. Second, a lot of the Thomas organs had a switch by the headphone jack the would turn the speakers off. Make sure the speakers are turned on.

Did you have a chance to check on that speaker switch?

just checked, switch is on
This is a Thomas 811 organ
Or #821?

The 811 and 821 are two different organs, If you can see which one is correct, also try a pair of headphones and see if you get sound from them.

All the paperwork indicates it's an 821. There is no sound through the head phones. Without the headphones you hear the speakers are on but no sound

We will have to put this conversation on hold until Monday when I will again have access to the service manual. Until then just make sure you have the correct stops on and see if the drums will play.

What are the stops? Don't play organ. Drums not playing either

With your starting question"Just moved a Thomas solid state organ to my neighbors and now there is no sound, help! Paid movers $225, my husband is going to murder me. " I apparently had a totally wrong idea. I assumed it was your organ and it was moved to a neighbors house. Since you know nothing about the organ as to how to operate it, that sheds a whole new light on the question. The stops are the voice tabs around the top of the organ. You need to turn at least some of them on before you get sound. It is the same with the drums. Since you have the manual, look at it and make sure you have the "stops" on to make the organ work. Then we can be sure it is not operator error in setting it up.

We've flipped every stop up and down, still no sound

OK: assuming it worked before the move. And you have now tried all the stops and switches. There are only two possibles left. (1) a cable connector came louse during the move or (2) a part has failed inside the unit, which would have nothing to do with the move. Either one is an internal failure that you would probably need a technician with test equipment and the service manual to correct.