Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

My Yamaha YPG-625 has 5 keys in the middle octave (c# to F#)

My Yamaha YPG-625 has...

My Yamaha YPG-625 has 5 keys in the middle octave (c# ***** F#) stopped working

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your YPG-625? What have you tried so far?

All the non-invasive procedures, including cleaning contact pads and general physical cleaning

3/11/2018
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. On this model, the keyboard is controlled by data coming from the computer and then returned back to the computer when you press a key. The wiring is broken down into banks of six keys each. It breaks between "C" and "C#" on one end and "F#" and "G" on the other end. There is one master control wire for each bank of keys. From your trouble, the problem is either a broken printed trace for that line on the keyboard board. Or the ribbon cable from the keyboard to the computer. How would you like to proceed with this?

I guess I can test the ribbon cable by connecting it to another set of keys. In which case I need to replace the ribbon. If that were not the problem and I had to replace the printed trace for that line on the board, do I need to buy a new board? If so, Where can I order it? I loath to schlepp the keyboard around since it is quite heavy and, living in NYC I don't have a car.

I guess my first question would be, do you have another ribbon cable. If so yes. More than likely it is going to be the board. It gets flexed every time you hit a key. On this old a unit you won't find a board. Your best bet would be to use a meter and check the traces coming off that set of keys and try to repair the break if you can find it.

Ron Winston