Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have SP 88 X. It lights up. the demo will play but the…

I have SP 88...

I have SP 88 X. It lights up. the demo will play but the keys won't play.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

Kurzweil Sp88 X

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?

Bought on ebay just got it. have tried every button combination possible

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello My name is ***** ***** I am a Kurzweil technician. From the symptom and the fact you just received it from EBAY which indicates someone else owned it and programmed it for themselves. The first place I would look is in the parameter settings for a function called "local on/off"

Local
Off, On

This parameter establishes (On) or breaks (Off) the internal link between the keyboard
plus controls and the internal sound module. Default is On which is appropriate for
standalone use and with external sound modules. Off is typically used with a
computer sequencer or external MIDI processor.

Here is how you access this function.

Make sure "local is on"

Access to the Global Parameters
View or edit the global parameters in Edit mode (either Internal Voices or MIDI
Setups) by pressing the Col Select button until both of the Parameters column LEDs
are off. Then use the Row Select button to select a speciÞc parameter. The names of the
global parameters are in the right-most column under the label Global. WeÕll describe
the function of each below.
Editing a global parameter is the same as editing any other parameter. You can
increment or decrement its value with the Down and Up arrow buttons or enter a new
value directly with the digit buttons and Enter. After editing, the new value will take
effect immediately.

Let me know if that works?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. It took me awhile to figure it out. 1 button does different things depending on where it's set.
I found where it says off and there are two buttons on the far right which say yes, no with arrows up and down.
It works beautifully, thanks so much. Tom

Great I'm glad that took care of the problem. If you could take a moment and grade my answer it would be helpfull for me.

Ron Winston
Ron Winston
Ron Winston