Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have an Roland HP3, and the key's are not sounding and the…

Hi I have an...

Hi I have an Roland HP3, and the key's are not sounding and the touch is failing causing the note to play too loudly I know it's an aging instrument I purchased it in 2006 and it was a floor model

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your instrument?

A few months ago and it is spreading across the keyboard

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

Yes with the same results

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

3/8/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

This is usually a simple fix, are some of the keys performing properly, just some of them are too loud, like at full volume?

Hi, sorry for the delay,
Yes it’s the volocity, and key not working at all, I actually think it the contacts

You're absolutely correct. You'll need to remove the top of the piano to expose the electronics. Be sure to unplug the piano for 10 minutes before exposing the electronics to avoid electric shock.

When you get the top off, strike a key. You'll see where the key hits on the inside, those are the contact strips. They wear out over time, and it sounds like you need to replace each of the strips, as the problem seems to be degenerative.

You can still order the contact strips direct from Roland. This will completely restore the sound of your piano, and the velocity will be very noticeable when you replace the strips. Call(###) ###-####to order the strips.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate 3-5 stars for my advice. If you need more help, please reply.

Great thank you, ***** ***** it from here.

You are very welcome. Please don't forget to rate 3-5 stars so I get credit for helping you.

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional