Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Tascam dr100 mkII. I am going to plug it into a…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Tascam dr100 mkII. I am going to plug it into a soundboard for recording a rock concert. The soundboard guy said he isn't recording a multi-track. What kind of cable do I need? XLR??

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

Tascam DR 100 MKII

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?

This is my first time. i typically just record Omni

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all. thank you.

3/7/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

If you want to record the mix from the sound board, you'll need to connect to an aux output from the sound board to your recorder. Set all of the aux knobs to the 12 o'clock position, and you'll get what's coming from the sound board.

However, you won't always get the best recording that way. The problem with small venues is, you'll find that not every instrument is mic'd, and you'll miss out on those sounds. If this is a large venue, the Aux output from the board is the way to go. If this is a small venue, put the recorder up above head height, where it sounds good to your ears, and point the recorder directly at the stage. Get as close to the center of the stage as you can, in the center, or back of the room. The two mics on the recorder are designed to record that way, and you'll get a good stereo mix, right from the recorder.

Let me know if you have any questions. It sounds like the sound guy is a pessimist, your recorder won't record multitrack anyway. Aux out will give you the sounds of the board (TRS 1/4 out of aux on board to XLR male into channel 1 on your recorder), but placing the recorder in the right spot in the room will pick up everything, including crowd noise. Those mics are directional, so it should eliminate most of the background noise, unless someone is talking right next to the recorder.

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Wonderful! Thank you!

You are very welcome! I've been doing live recordings for bands for a long time. Use your ears to find the best spot in the room, then use one ear to fine tune the right spot to place the recorder. The recorder will record what your ear hears in that spot. That's the best way I can explain how to get a good recording. It will be somewhere near the sound booth.

Word of caution, the sound guy may get mad if you try to plug something into his power, so make sure your batteries are fresh. :-)