Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

My roland piano won't receive the midi disk. it won't push…

Customer Question
My roland piano won't...

My roland piano won't receive the midi disk. it won't push in, but when I look inside i can't see anything blocking the entrance

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

Kr-7/5

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?

I haven't put a midi in it for a year. just bought one and tried today

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
3/7/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 4 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I am a Roland certified technician. First of all can you recheck that model number. ( kr7/5) normally it is kr and two or three numbers, not a (/). Take a look at the disk's that you have and see if the metal sliding cover in the front of the disk is missing on any of them. That can come off and get lodged in the drive.

Kr-5
Any ideas? My son pulled out a straight pin today.

Did you look at your disk to see if any of those covers were missing? Straight pins are not normally in a disk drive, I wonder what else might be in there.

I can’t see anything but it’s hard to see. It’s a brand new disk that I’m trying to put in, but maybe a silver disk is stuck in there from before that I can’t see

There is only two things that will keep you from inserting the disk. (1) something logged in the drive. or (2) Something broken in the drive. If you can't see anything by looking in the front the only other answer is to take the drive out and open it up to look. If you still see nothing then the drive will need to be replaced. Also if you poke around from the front and knock the head out of alignment, again the drive will have to be replaced. so be carefull and don't force anything.

How do I take the drive out and open it

Start by removing the top of the piano. If you look across the top back of the piano you will see screws going into the top from the back. Remove those screws. The top will then slide forward and lift off. Look at the drive and you will see three or four screws holding it in. Once it is out there is a cover plate on it. Some are screwed on and some are just pressed on.

Did you have a chance to look at the drive?