Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Kurtsweil V. All of a sudden the pedals stopped…

I have a Kurtsweil...

I have a Kurtsweil Mark V. All of a sudden the pedals stopped working.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

Kurtzweil Mark V Digital Piano

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?

It happened all at once. I hadn't played it for a while and when I returned to the instrument the pedals didn't respond. I wouldn't know what to try.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it! Thanks.

3/4/2018
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am a Kurzweil certified technician. Is it all the pedals or just the on on the right that dosen't work?

It's all of them.

OK: There is a cable that comes up from the pedals and plugs into the back of the keyboard. First, see if that plug feels louse? Then disconnect it and plug it back in. Let me know if this corrected the problem and did it feel louse?

I don't find a cable on the back that connects to the pedals. The assembly instructions I have show a cable running from the left leg to the pedals that has a connection under the cross piece that runs from leg to leg and holds the pedals. To reach it I would have to lay the piano on its back. Before I attempt that, I want to verify with you that that would be the cable I'm looking for. Thanks!

It is the cable that comes out of the pedal box, I thought on a "V" it came into the back of the unit, but I could be wrong on that.

We found the loose cable and reconnected it. The right pedal works now (thank you!) but the other two still don't function. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

There is a switch under each of those pedals. Chances of two switches going bad at the same time is unlikely.. Since pluging the cable in started the right one working. I would think the problem for the other two would be in that same plug. Possibly the soulder connections from the plug to the board inside.

Ron Winston
Thank you. We'll take it from here. You've been very helpful!!