Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

How much will it cost please? I have a sound problem on my…

How much will it...

How much will it cost please?

Technician's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I have a sound problem on my Technics KN7000

Technician's Assistant: What is your Technics connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

I have gone thru all the diagnostics,resets etc to no avail

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

In short I was connecting the unit to Laptop PC

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I am talking about a Technics Musical Keyboard

2/16/2018
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Still need help. But I must know if you are fully conversant with the Technics KN7000 ICs and Modus Operandi of the instrument before I continue.
I have performed all the "resets" and diagnostic testing etc as per the KN7000 Owners manual. In doing this I was able to isolate the problem down to to the malfunction of the onboard amp. No sound whatsoever from internal speaker system.However when I insert a pair of headphones I can hear a faint signal when the instrument is played in the "Demo" mode. No sound when keyboard is played normally.My thoughts are 1. Blown fuse/s.2. Dry joint 3.Leaking capacitor 4 Faulty components. Please note that all the remaining functions work perfectly.
At the time of the malfunction, I had just successfully connected the KN7000 to PC and was playing MP3 and Midi audio files via the KN's Auxilliary Line in.
At this point the sound just stopped abruptly and,in spite of my efforts mentioned above, could not be restored. No "burning" smell was evident.These units tend to run warm (cabinet) This is quite normal Can you assist please?
I just wanna know if you can help preferably before I spend $37 more
What's happening please?
I dont wanna talk on da phone
Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional

Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry for the delay, it sounds like you have a good idea of how the keyboard works. Let's get to the inner workings.

Since you can hear something with the demo, but not the keyboard, that says a lot. The demo runs louder, so there is a little signal getting through to the amp circuits. There are main amplifiers, a headphone amplifier, and a line out amplifier. If one was bad, the others would work. However since they aren't producing sound, the signal is cut to the amplifiers from the mixer/pitch bend circuit. That is also the circuit that contains the demo tunes.

The tone generator sends signal to the mixer, where it applies effects, such as sustain. The output of that board isn't passing signal to the amp circuits.

It's the cheapest board in the whole unit, look for a bulged capacitor at the output that connects to the amp circuits. You'll likely find the culprit there. Check for broken solder joints as well. If you ohm it out, you'll see very high resistance. That is where to look for the problem.

If you cannot locate the problem, you can replace the whole pitch bender.

We. and Fr. - 10:00 - 17:00

+49 (0)202 5149 5407

Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional