Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

Received a DGX 230 portable piano for xmas present. My son…

Customer Question
Received a DGX 230...

Received a DGX 230 portable piano for xmas present. My son assembled it. From the beginning one of the speakers did not work. Before we return it he asked if I would ask you was there any button he could have accidentally pressed that caused this or is it a defective speaker.

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your instrument?

As soon as they assembled it, turned it on to be sure it was operative. only one speaker worked.

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

Not with external speakers to my knowledge. apparently not with headphones which they used.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope that's the issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
1/2/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 7 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. There is no button that will kill just one of the two channels. You need to make sure if it does or does not work on headphones. There are two speakers on each side so the chance of both speakers being bad are very slim. There is a problem in the unit and I would think it is a bad amplifier IC or a bad headphone jack. Try a pair of headphones if both channels work then it is a bad headphone jack. If only one works then it is the amplifier IC that is bad. Both are internal to the unit and since it should be under warranty I would return it to the dealer.

Is there anything else I can help you with?