Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Hammond xb2 that does not have any sound going to…

Customer Question
Hi pearl, i have...

Hi pearl, i have a Hammond xb2 that does not have any sound going to the amp. the display lights up when it is powered up and the display functions appear normal. i took it to the Hammond dealer in garland and they said its not worth fixing. just wanted a second opinion before i get rid of it

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your instrument?

It was given to me in its present condition so i have no idea when it last worked.

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's about it, just want to know if its worth trying to get it fixed. thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
1/2/2018
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 7 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Hammond certified technician. This is a hard question to answer with the information you are giving me. Having the technician say "it is not worth fixing" is giving you his opinion, not what he found was wrong. The problem with this is he may not want to spend as much as you would to repair it or he would make more money selling you a new unit. He should have done what we do here for a estimate. We tell the customer what is wrong and what it would cost to repair and let the customer make the choice to repair or not. As for the problem, as with any electronic equipment, saying "it is not working" does not tell you where the problem is or where to look. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse or as expensive as a bad computer. I would go back to the dealer and have him tell you what he found bad and what it would cost to repair. Then you make the call as to repair or not.