Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

My Clavinova is very noisy on key return. Yamaha. I havnt…

Customer Question
My Clavinova is very...

My Clavinova is very noisy on key return

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your instrument?

Yamaha

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Yamaha instrument? What have you tried so far?

I havnt tried anything as i am a bit concerned that i might damage it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
12/29/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years replied 7 months ago
Ron Winston
Ron Winston, Owner of Winston Electronics, Servicing music electronics for over 50 years

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Yamaha certified technician. I will try to help you today. I do have a couple of questions. First, can you give me the model number because over the years Yamaha used several different keyboards so I need to know which one your unit has. And second, does the key play ok even if it is noisy on the return?

Hi Ron
The unit is a Yamaha Clavinova Model CVP103. The notes play perfectly its just that the key return has got very noisy

Great we know where we are now. In this keyboard there were several things that would cause that noise. First is the rear mount of the key itself, it would break allowing the key to twist and hit the key next to it. Second would be a cracked hammer "counter weight" under the key. The third is the felt padding for the keys, it is one long strip that runs the length of the keyboard. The problem is you are going to have to remove the keyboard and the bad keys to see which of them it is.

Is there anything else I can help you with?