Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I am currently working on a Roland Fantom X6. It had some…

Customer Question
Hello, My name is***** and I...
My name is***** and I am currently working on a Roland Fantom X6. It had some faulty buttons so I replaced the switches, but as soon as I rebuilt it the LCD screen would only turn on but not display anything. So the light would turn on but it would stay black. I was wondering what could be the problem since it was working beforehand. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
12/29/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: ITPeter, Electronics Engineer replied 3 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello Roberto,

Are all the internal cables connected correctly?

Did you observe appropriate electro-static discharge (ESD) precautions when working inside the unit?

to both, I imagine the CN102 cable only has one way to connect the cable. The screen looks as if it is not receiving any data since no matter what function the piano is given nothing is displayed.

If the cable is fitted correctly then the cable receptacles on the board may be poorly soldered.

The next step is to check those connector receptacles and resolder the pins on the receptacles.

everything seems to be soldered properly. The only thing I do remember that was different was that I did not observe the ESD when first working on the unit.

I suspect a component has suddenly failed to cause the display not to work - it may have received an ESD discharge, or it may just be coincidence.

Approximately how old is the X6?

I would not know since it was purchased used at a pawn shop about a few weeks prior to the malfunction.

Can you see a mfg date on it anywhere?

If it is quite old then sudden component failure is a likely possibility.

It doesn't have one, so I assume it to be quite old. Would you happen to know what component would be failing?

Electrolytic capacitors are the most common part to fail.

Without knowing the history of the unit, there could be a loose connection elsewhere within it.

ITPeter
ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer