Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

My kurzweil PC88 is on but when I press some of the keys cut…

Customer Question
Hi my kurzweil PC88...

Hi my kurzweil PC88 is on but when I press some of the keys cut short and some don't. Is there anything I can do to fix?

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your PC88?

A couple of years. I'm not sure how old it is as it was given to me. Also some keys have a bit of light squeeking sound which has always bee there.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I tried to reset with global but could not find a yes button.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it. Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
12/28/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Kurzweil question.
How many keys have this problem? if it's just a scattering of keys and there's no particular pattern, you probably have a problem with the individual key switches or individual keys in other ways particular to those keys in the mechanism.

Now, the first thing to try is, with the power Off and an air compressor, blowing air into the keys from either side of the key, holding down the adjacent keys to the problem key that's being air-cleaned this way, to allow more access into the key's under-side.

If that doesn't help, there are other things that can be done. Let me know in Reply how it goes and what the result is; I will recommend other measures as needed.

A good parts source for Kurzweil parts of this sort, if parts turn out to be needed, is

https://syntaur.com/kurzweil_pc.html

and, for my and your future reference, there are also these sources:

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/KUR_Kurzweil/Replacement-Service-Parts.html

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/kurzweil-parts.html

So let me know, please.

Thanks that seems logical. I will give it a try. But hmm, where an I find an air compressor? Maybe a carpenter friend. I'm not sure. I will let you know if I can find one and how it turns out. This is so disappointing as I am in the middle of practicing for something important. Sincerely yolanda thanks again

An air compressor of the sort used for inflating tires will do, if you cannot find any other.

I'm sorry to hear that... electronic musical instruments sometimes fail unexpectedly.

Now, if the failure was quite sudden and not preceded by a long period of disuse, you might need to unplug the Kurzweil, leave it unplugged for some time (about 10 minutes to an hour or two) and then try it again. That sort of powered-off-by-unplugging reset can sometimes straighten out a temporary problem.

If that doesn't cure it, ask me for a local Kurzweil servicer.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.