Electronic Musical Instruments

Ask an Electronic Musical Instruments Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Electronic Musical Instruments

I have the same question as a previous person--My (SONY)

Customer Question
I have the same...

I have the same question as a previous person--My (SONY) Yamaha Disklavier won't play a disk. It says, "UNFORMATTED DISK". Any suggestions? Thank you.

Technician's Assistant: What Yamaha model do you have?

I have the manual in front of me but not sure how to tell. On the unit it says, "Control Unit DKC500R-XG" Thank you kindly for your immediate response. WOW

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Yamaha instrument? What have you tried so far?

Manual says MARK II XG Series. checking when we got it--perhaps 15 years ago, (of course the CD rom version came out just after we bought... I haven't really tried anything---It started when I put in a new disc last year. My guess is that it was not compatible and somehow that trigged the UNFORMATTED DISK for all my other disks. I' afraid to put any more in...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

We purchased in 1998. I think that's all the info I have. We don't play it as much as we used to, usually just around Christmas. (Ended up being to loud for the kids -- piano is a Yamaha)

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
12/18/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Yamaha Disklavier question.
The older Disklaviers use a floppy disk drive. Those can become unusable owing to dust and/or oxide accumulating on the read heads. In a period as long as 15 years, that could very easily be the problem, though other problems could also occur.

So, I suggest that you get a floppy disk drive cleaning kit. They are rather rare, but here's a source I found for one - to at least show you exactly what you are in need of:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028B7138/ref=asc_df_B0028B71385305488/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0028B7138&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198063088238&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9933458107552745748&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9053018&hvtargid=pla-322894158698

for about $10 from Amazon.com... and here's another example, from NewEgg.com:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4R850R1301&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Floppy+Drive+Diskette-_-9SIA4R850R1301&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn8iSxbOS2AIVGLjACh3_KgNeEAQYAyABEgIJ-vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

for about $11.

The first (Amazon) is 'free shipping', the second is $5.99 for shipping. So the Amazon.com one is much the more advantageous in price.

Moisten the cleaning disk with the special volatile cleaning fluid in the bottle, then insert the cleaning disk at once, and let it run a bit, and it will scrub oxide off the read heads in the drive.

Then hopefully after that it will read your disks again. (If not, the floppy drive in the Disklavier may need replacing - if you would like a local repair facility that can help you with that in case you need it, just Reply mentioning your local zip code, and I will get listings of them for you, also.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Service Tech