Electronic Musical Instruments

Electronic musical instrument questions? Ask a technician ASAP

I have a Yamaha Grantouch DGT7 grand piano. The problem is…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Yamaha Grantouch DGT7 grand piano. The problem is the piano is not powering up - no green light on the left hand piano switch.

Technician's Assistant: When could you last turn on your GRANTOUCH DGT7?

About 2 weeks ago

Technician's Assistant: Do you have access to a voltmeter to test the voltage coming from the AC adapter?

No. There is power in the lead to the rear connection, but no power at the switch.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
12/7/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first thing to do about such a problem is, to unplug the Yamaha piano from the power mains.

Then, plug something else into the same mains, to make sure that the mains outlet is OK, and providing power still.

Then after that, if the mains is OK, you will need to check the entire length of the power cord, and esp. where it goes into the piano. If it is removable, remove it from the piano, check it, re-seat it in place firmly, and see if the piano then works.

After which, if the piano still fails to work, then it may have been damaged by a power variation or surge on the mains, I regret to say - or it has failed in the normal course of aging, wear and tear. (Note: a power surge protector is a good thing to have, for each electronic device in your home that has any value at all worth mentioning... power surge protection is an investment that always pays off eventually.)

Tell me, if that's the case, where you are located, please?

Hi, Checked the socket and power is at the socket. No power at the left hand switch on the piano. I am in the UK.

Depending upon where you are in the UK, roughly, there are various places to go to for servicing for this type of piano. Please tell me roughly what town or city you are near, and I will tell you the nearest place or places to get in touch with to help with this problem. (I fear that there is a defective power supply, or maybe some more extensive problem that is less easy to describe or to fix, in the piano. This is indicated by its being completely dead and having no fault in the basic power path that you have checked.)

Russell H., Service Tech